High Phosphates and Nitrates

Doormark

Jul 1, 2021
Oklahoma
Moved from here.
Sounds like my battle. I’ve had pools for forty years without any serious problems. Currently I’ve had a smaller pool(16,000 gallons) surrounded by trees and greenery. Occasionally large grand dogs come and swim. Ok, I handled that until I couldn’t. Worked with my local pool supplier. He explained that over time our muni water has increased phosphate and nitrates due to poultry farm pollution way upstream in a neighboring state. Water evaporates from the pool leaving pollutants behind to build up. We treated phosphates but the only way to treat nitrates was to drain and power wash the pool. I did that three or four years ago and it solved the problem. But it’s back again this year. I will need to drain and refill again. Or, shock my pool almost every day. Appears it will be a periodic requirement living in this area. Our muni water meets EPA standards and the city can’t remove nitrates either. Forty years maintaining pools in this area and it has come to this. Many pool owners are experiencing the same situation. I suppose every pool is different in bathing loads greenery and fertilizer contamination, which would explain why some are not having the problem. Yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP :)

It does not matter how much of anything is in the pool, if the FC level is good nothing can grow in the water :)

That is the great thing about TFP.. How are you testing your water and what are your levels? Is the pool green now?

You do not need to drain the pool, your water is fine.. You are using the same water as mine and I have had a clear pool for 9 years..

If you do not have your own test kit, grab a great one and we can go from there.. Test Kits Compared

Here are a few articles...

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.