High pH, low CYA

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I am starting the season, and I found out that my pH is 8.2 while CYA is 25. What would be the recommendation to balance the water in this case?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
You want to lower the pH with muriatic acid to around 7.6-7.8. That should help to control scale. Then you want to increase the CYA to about 40 this time of year for a non-salt pool in your area. Use the sock-soaking method to soak and dissolve the stabilizer. Be sure to keep the FC balanced to the new CYA level as noted on the FC/CYA Chart to prevent algae.

Kevinr14

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
You want to lower the pH with muriatic acid to around 7.6-7.8. That should help to control scale. Then you want to increase the CYA to about 40 this time of year for a non-salt pool in your area. Use the sock-soaking method to soak and dissolve the stabilizer. Be sure to keep the FC balanced to the new CYA level as noted on the FC/CYA Chart to prevent algae.

Just curious, could you add the CYA and then adjust PH after since the CYA will bring the PH down a little?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Just curious, could you add the CYA and then adjust PH after since the CYA will bring the PH down a little?
The effects on pH from the CYA will be negligible. Nothing like muriatic acid. I would just consider them separate.

Reactions: Kevinr14

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
How much muriatic acid and stabilizer should I be adding?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.