High pH and T/A ... is it important to lower them now?

jcajj

Aug 10, 2010
Byron, Illinois
We are new to owning a pool and in the process of constructing a patio and deck around our 30' round AG pool and we have not been able to lower the pH and T/A. The pool is less than a month old. We purchased the TF-100 kit and here are our results:

FC= 3
CC= 0
TC=3
pH= 8.2 (maybe higher, it's REALLY red)
T/A= 200
CH= 250
CYA= 0 (? I think...I can always see the black dot even when I use the whole bottle.)

I don't know how to test for Borate.

We keep adding muratic acid, but it really hasn't changed anything. Is it really important to balance it now? - we will be closing the pool late because of the construction (probably mid October) but no one is swimming (except my husband in order to vaccuum the pine needles.)
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

jc,

It is ABSOLUTELY mandatory that you get your pH down into the mid 7's. Don't put it off, do it now.

Your TA will follow it down to a manageable level but do not underestimate the importance of keeping your pH in the 7.4 - 7.6 range.

Once your pH is down there (use as much acid as required), you should check it very often and keep adding acid until it stabilizes in the 7's.

Welcome to TFP....Ph is very important, especially since you have CH in your water. PH of 7.8 or higher can promote calcium scaling.

The TA will come down on it's own. A 30 ft round pool is quite large...how much acid are you using to lower PH? Use poolcalculator.com to determine the dosage. If my math is right, your pool is right around 21k gallons...and it will take about 1.5 quarts to lower your PH to around 7.4.

edit...Dave beat me to it...but we're saying the same thing...use MA to lower your PH to the mid 7's and worry about TA later. :goodjob:

Check and make sure you are using 31.45% MA and not a weaker acid. If you plan on keeping the pool open (uncovered) much longer you may want to add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. But first get the pH in line. Congrats on the new pool!

As stated above, get the pH down. TA will come down on its own, slower.

It can take a LOT of acid initially. When I started testing my water myself around January, it was off the scale. Not being sure if it was painted or not, I bought dry acid. I added a few cups. No effect. Added again. Still no effect. Bought some muriatic acid after I determined the surface was plain plaster. It took a whole gallon to move the color down into the orangish zone. And it took lots more, added a few cups at a time, to keep pH in range while the TA slowly crept down.

Use the Pool Calculator. Add whatever it says to go from current pH to 7.3. Give it a day, then check again. And repeat again and again until things settle down. You may have pH 9.0 - there's no way to know since the block ends at 8.2!!

Thanks everybody! I was trying to use the pool calculator but was forgetting to set the goals at the bottom. Apparently I need 99oz. of acid. I'm off to the store. I guess I'll buy some stabilizer to raise the CYA too. I hope closing this pool is going to be easier than trying to balance it. :roll:

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.