High pH and high TA

gpavlidi

Feb 25, 2021
Newark, CA
Hi everyone,
I have a question about my pool situation:
My pH tends to go up towards 8.5 within a week time. I have an SWG, plaster is about 3 months old and I have a spa that is enclosed within the pool (infinity) whose jets cause a lot of bubbles.
I understand that all of the above are factors driving my pH up and I am driving it down with MA.
Problem is that TA tends to climb to 100ppm if left unchecked and have done the whole pH->7.0 and aerate few times.

My question is, should I keep trying to tame TA or just focus on pH primarily?
Is TA going to stabilize if I bring it low enough? ( I usually stop once it's within range at ~80ppm and then it does up again)

Hey G !!! I think you are chasing your tail here. Many of us with SWGs found that the PH just liked to be 7.8 or 8. If you just let it be it should be a lot more stable. When you force it to low 7s (a common mistake thinking it will buy more time), it swings back with a vengeance much sooner than if you just let it be. Kinda like how hot water will freeze before cold water if you put them both in the freezer. A 100 TA is fine for most folks.

I have to ask because chasing specific TA/PH is one of the big plays of the pool store. Make you target 60-80 and mess up your PH in the process. Then sell you something that throws them both out of whack. And more. And more. And the roller coaster never stops. 60-100 and any 7 is ok here. And equally ok if your CSI agrees.

Also suspect is your reading of 8.5 (unless you are using a PH meter) because the kits only read to 8 or 8.2. So just want to make sure you’re testing yourself. If you are, stop arguing with your pool. Things will probably get much better. :)

Adjust the PH at 8 or 8.2 and only to 7.6-7.8 when you do

Last edited:
Reactions: gpavlidi
Hey G !!! I think you are chasing your tail here. Many of us with SWGs found that the PH just liked to be 7.8 or 8. If you just let it be it should be a lot more stable. When you force it to low 7s (a common mistake thinking it will buy more time), it swings back with a vengeance much sooner than if you just let it be. Kinda like how hot water will freeze before cold water if you put them both in the freezer. A 100 TA is fine for most folks.

I have to ask because chasing specific TA/PH is one of the big plays of the pool store. Make you target 60-80 and mess up your PH in the process. Then sell you something that throws them both out of whack. And more. And more. And the roller coaster never stops. 60-100 and any 7 is ok here. And equally ok if your CSI agrees.

Also suspect is your reading of 8.5 (unless you are using a PH meter) because the kits only read to 8 or 8.2. So just want to make sure you’re testing yourself. If you are, stop arguing with your pool. Things will probably get much better. :)

Adjust the PH at 8 or 8.2 and only to 7.6-7.8 when you do
Thanks newdude, that was my intuition which got me to post here for advice.
8.5 is my estimate since the test wont read beyond 8.0 as you note, given that it takes about 5 drops of 'acid demand' to bring it down to 7.6ish.

The only reason I was pushing down to 7.0 is that this seemed the recommendation for lowering TA.
It sounds from your recommendation that I should try to go for 7.6-7.8 even with a slightly out of bounds TA of 100. Will try that, thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
G,

I would focus on just keeping your pH in range and forget about TA unless it drops below 50 ppm...

For me anyway, adding smaller amount of MA every couple of days works better than one large amount of MA once a week.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Good advice and similar to what newdudde suggests - thanks Jim.
What about the upper limit of TA, 100 should be fine if I have pH under control?

Thanks,
Yanis

The only reason I was pushing down to 7.0 is that this seemed the recommendation for lowering TA
Ok great, that’s how you do it. And well done. Now stop and let it be. 😁

60-100 is totally fine TA. (Maybe even 110)
Any 7 PH is equally ok

Plug your results in poolmath and fine tune a little if the CSI is off.

Reactions: gpavlidi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.