High Levels - Pool drain required?

Mar 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a newbie when it comes to pool care. For a long time I was paying for a monthly service but decided I would give it a shot and try it myself. Needless to say, I am lost! I've been reading a lot of posts on this site to learn a thing or two which has helped me quite a bit. I have been having problems getting my water to balance I was getting readings all over the board so I decided to take a water sample to a local pool shop and after they tested the water told me only thing I can do is a full drain and start fresh. I would like to ask people on this forum if they agree or not. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

It is an inground pool and about 13,000 gallons

My pool water is crystal clear, looks great. Water levels are very very high:

Free available Chlorine 0
Total available Chlorine 0
Calcium Hardness 1000
Cyanuric Acid 250
Total Alkalinity 250
pH 8
Acid demand 6
Total Dissolved Solids 5000+
Phosphates 1000

Like I said, very high levels. Chlorine seems to bounce from 0 to 1, can't seem to keep any decent chlorine level.

One other question I have is if I do a full drain and refill what startup chemicals do I need to put in the pool?

I would begin by doing your own testing. I am not very sure of those numbers. At the very least, get another test at another store before you drain the pool. Post back the comparison.

Draining some certainly appears likely but get a second set of numbers before you start.....preferably with your own test kit. How do you chlorinate now?

I would begin by doing your own testing. I am not very sure of those numbers. At the very least, get another test at another store before you drain the pool. Post back the comparison.

Draining some certainly appears likely but get a second set of numbers before you start.....preferably with your own test kit. How do you chlorinate now?

Thanks for your response. I was testing with strips (I know, not very accurate!), and was getting high numbers as well and I wasn't believing the test strips which is why I took a sample in.
Pool guy I was using was chlorinating with tabs so I continued using the them as well.

Ok, You are going to need a lot of patience and a whole new way of thinking.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. If that all makes sense to you and you understand those are all things you need to test for (sorry, no strips) you will need to order one of the two kits we suggest.

Everyone here will help you every step of the way but you will need the kit in your possession before you start to refill.

Also please don't drain all at once..........we'll be asking you to drain in increments. You can do all this. Keep reading others testimonials. What we teach works but it will be a big departure from what you have been doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.