High(ish) alkalinity and my salt cell

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
I just filled my new pool a month or two ago and the alkalinity has been around 170. This is what my fill water is, so that’s logical. pH has not been a problem, in fact, it’s pretty slow to rise... If I lower it to 7.2 with MA it will take 2 or 3 weeks to get up to 7.6 or 7.8. My plan has been to just let it slowly lower over time adding MA every few weeks to keep the pH down, but at this rate it will probably be months or longer before I see a significant change in the TA.

I’m reconsidering that plan because I just added a Circupool RJ-30 and I know that high alkalinity can be a concern for the salt cell. Should I be concerned about my alkalinity level affecting the cell? Would I be better off trying to aerate the pool more effectively so I can use more MA to bring down the alkalinity faster?

FC - 8.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 170
CH - 170
CYA - 80
Salt - 3400

It’s worth noting that I have tried the “wiping the reagent bottle tip with a damp cloth” trick and I believe this is an accurate TA number.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
As you probably have read, I am in the same boat as you as my fill water TA is currently 150. I am trying to get the level down before buying a SWCG but I am not probably going to be 100% there. I do need to figure out a way to aerate when the pool is not in use. I managed as an experiment to get the detached hot tub down to TA 70 but I don't have an autofill fighting me and it's easy to aerate.

Post once in awhile detailing your struggle, I am interested. I had the CSI at zero for months with TA at 130 but most sources here suggested that I would be better off if I got the balance point down because the cell itself changes CSI within the cell.

I figured out a way to aerate. The valve they used to pressurize the system can be used with a garden hose. And with the floor system, I do now know finally that the returns work. Hopefully I will get there. The kids swimming today did not hurt either. IMG_20200405_173309514.jpg

It's before the filter but it doesn't look like a lot of it is diverted...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.