high FC and PH

swamprat69

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I have read that when FC is over 10 ( correcting for high CYA or slamming) that PH readings will be incorrect. Since the PH appears to be higher than it actually is when tested, I am assuming that the high FC is skewing the PH when chemically tested. Would a digital PH meter show the correct PH when the FC is above 10?

I have read that when FC is over 10 ( correcting for high CYA or slamming) that PH readings will be incorrect. Since the PH appears to be higher than it actually is when tested, I am assuming that the high FC is skewing the PH when chemically tested. Would a digital PH meter show the correct PH when the FC is above 10?
Hi swamp69, in full disclosure I’m not a moderator- and they are better equipped but couple of things popped out here
a) did you test/balance pre-Slam ???
what was your pH Prior to??
Knowing your pH prior to Slaming is more useful than trying to worry about it inthe throes Of a SLAM. In a SLAM you are at War, focus on getting thru the Slam-then once you pass the OCLT, and win the Slam War, then is the time for you to re-test and re-balance re-balance the water
b)Do you know your cyanuric Acid level?
c) do you have a good test kit? Like a Tf-100 or Taylor’s 2006 are both excellent.
you will not be able to shock level and maintain -SLAM
without accurate readings
Blessings

Not slamming right now, but having just switched to TFP this summer my CYA is 80-90. Following chart, Min FC is 6-7 and target is 9-12 putting my FC over 10 at times. I was just wondering if a digital PH meter would read PH correctly even with FC over 10. Need repairs to decking and lights this winter and with las vegas water starting at 290 CH will be draining pool and starting over next year.

Not slamming right now, but having just switched to TFP this summer my CYA is 80-90. Following chart, Min FC is 6-7 and target is 9-12 putting my FC over 10 at times. I was just wondering if a digital PH meter would read PH correctly even with FC over 10. Need repairs to decking and lights this winter and with las vegas water starting at 290 CH will be draining pool and starting over next year.
Are y’all waiting till winter for the deck and light repairs you mentioned because of Vegas Sun?
I’ve read reviews on pH Meters-But
TOO fascinated at this time, with my new test kit, that I can’t imagine pH testing without drops.
with 2 girls, & 2 boys .... I can definitively say, my girls have easier time distinguishing pink/red shades
And my boys are better at distinguishing subtle gold/yellow shades ....
Don’t know if unique to us or universal???Been using our test kit Daily these past 4 months
Draining ....
Are y’all draining for repairs or chemistry?
Was your Cya at 90ppm on purpose ??
Until I began testing my own water -I had NO idea HOW FAST Cya levels Can rise

Draining for both repairs and chemistry. Had a pool service till midsummer that was using pucks, but had 2 algae blooms in 3 weeks with them while FC was 4 all month so I let them go. Slammed and it has been ok since. Also been doing most of my own repairs ( replaced pump and repaired leaking water header on heater) since I'm a retired HVAC tech and it is just like another boiler to me. Had an older pool when I lived in Scottsdale ( diving board and sand filter), but the biggest problem there were the Haboobs that left half of the Native American reservation in my pool. Had to run the pool cleaner for a week while backflushing the sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.