High CYA - Drained my pool - Now What?

Apr 25, 2017
Tomball, TX
My CYA was 90 so I followed pool math and drained my pool around 60-70% then refilled it. Our water has high alkalinity so after I filled the pool I added liquid chlorine and MA. Is there something else I need to add to the water after filling the pool back up besides chlorine and MA? I have been focused on chlorine and TA levels the last couple of days. I have a gunite pool and it's only about 10,000 gallons. I have not yet checked the CYA or calcium levels yet. I was going to do that this afternoon.

What test kit are you using? What are your current numbers? We need free chlorine, pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and CYA levels. Based on current test results from a reliable kit we can then tell you what you need to adjust.

Most pools only need chlorine and muriatic acid on a regular basis. CYA and CH should be relatively stable unless your fill water is high in CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.