High CYA and salt not decreasing

wgmamc11

Oct 17, 2020
North Texas
Hi All,

I have elevated CYA but no algae problems right now. I think I overdosed it (rookie mistake) when it was too low. Should I worry about this if algae doesn't start? Or just maintain correct FC per the chart and wait for summer splashout to lower it?

Also, since I moved in 3 months ago, the salt levels haven't dropped at all. The SWCG was running ~50% for at least 2 of those months. Measured with the controller and my test kit, similar results around 3400-3800ppm depending on the day & method. Is it normal for it to not drop noticeably for so long? I'm maintaining with liquid chlorine now that water temp is in the 50s.

Latest test: FC ~9.5, CC 0, PH 7.9, TA 90, CH 400, CYA 90, SALT 3400, Temp 54, CSI -0.09

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Your numbers look good to me. Yes, your CYA is a bit high but you are properly accounting for that by keeping your FC higher. Just don't add any more and your CYA number should drift down a bit due to splash out and normal CYA degradation.

Edc1911

Mar 25, 2018
South Texas
I live in Texas as well, and I do have to check my CYA once a month during the summer because it will drop. IIRC I had to add 2lb of CYA over the summer to keep it at 50.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
The only way salt level declines in your pool is if you take water out of the pool (intentionally or due to overflow) and replace with fresh water.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hi. Pretty new to this and thought the SWCG consumed salt. Thanks for letting me know.
For reference I have 2 bags ready to add once the weather gets better to get me back to 3,600 ppm. I might have to add another bag later in the swim season due to splash out, backwashing, etc.

mgtfp

Bronze Supporter
Mar 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
Hi. Pretty new to this and thought the SWCG consumed salt. Thanks for letting me know.

SWG turns salt (chloride) into chlorine. By being "used" by sanitation, oxidation or UV-breakdown, chlorine gets turned back into chloride.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.