High chlorine

Hello,
I am fairly new to the forum, but have thus far, received great information!
After my pool turned into a swamp a few weeks back, I followed the directions on this site to clear it up. It now looks great! The water is clear and no algae appears to be back...

The chlorine is still very high. I could take a sample to the pool store, as I dont have the best test kit yet. But the pool store can only meausre up to 5.0 ppm anyway.

Should I try to neutralize the chlorine, if so- how?
Or should I just let the chlorine dissapate on its own?
The chlorine has been this high for about 7 days now.

Thanks!!!

Jun 2, 2008
Chesapeake, VA
Welcome to TFP! I'm sure one of the pro's will be along shortly to ask for more details, but your chlorine should dissipate on its own over time.

How high is "high" right now? Are you still adding chlorine via a SWG, pucks or liquid chlorine?

Depending on your CYA level, 5+ ppm might be what you need to maintain anyway which is why a lot of us need the better test kit.

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
jillcreyes,

Welcome to TFP!

But the pool store can only meausre up to 5.0 ppm anyway.
It sounds like this particular pool store is not using the drops-based method (DPD-FAS) of measuring chlorine. You will need to find a better pool store or wait for your new test kit.

Titanium

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Just let the chlorine level come down naturally. Keep testing at least daily and start adding more when it comes down.

This would be a great time to order a better test kit.