High chlorine consumption (3 - 3.5 ppm a day)

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Please pour some thoughts on what adjustments need to be made to get the chlorine consumption to a normal range. Last year only in the peak summer there were few days at 3.5 ppm a day.

Pool was closed (not covered) for 4 months. Opened it a week back, filled it few inches and shocked the pool. CYA was 50 last September.

OCLT passed with 0.5 loss overnight
Water crystal clear.

FC 4 (Bumping to 8)
CC 0
pH 7.6
CH 200
TA 80
CYA 40

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: jdlangley1

cfherrman

TFP Guide
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
Since oclt was good it leads to testing error, so do a second oclt just in case, and test after FC adds to check all the boxes. Is something visiting the pool during the day?

Typical steps for can find the use....

Have a floor cleaner? Run it or brush real good.

Check lights and ladders, dead spots.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
have you checked your fc after dosing to make sure your fc is getting where you meant it to?
i just discovered that my chlorine had gone bad
We just bought it last week from Atwoods. Just added a gallon. How long to wait to retest? (30 min enough).

Thanks.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Since oclt was good it leads to testing error, so do a second oclt just in case, and test after FC adds to check all the boxes. Is something visiting the pool during the day?

Will redo the OCLT once the rain stops.

MrBfromNC

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Fuquay-Varina, NC
You can test it about 20-30 minutes after you add it if you want to know for sure, but it sounds like jmikeb is probably correct. Old chlorine doesn't help FC levels much at all.

newbie2017

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Tested it 50min after addition (overcast with rainy day). It is only 6.5. Should have been 8 as per my calculation.

Did not save the receipt .. :rolleyes:

gullzway

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
Fellow Tulsan. Is the Atwoods bleach 10%? I bought mine from Lowes this year for opening, their 10% LQ is $3.86/gallon.

Other Threads of Interest