Hello, please see numbers below.
FC-7
CC-0
pH-7.3
TA-75
CYA-40
CH-700
Water temp. 84*F

I'm thinking it may be time for a partial water replacement due to high CH levels. My fill water has a CH level of 90 and there is no rain in the forecast (Ca drought) anytime soon to do a natural water replacement. My current CSI value is at -0.01 which is good but I have to keep my pH a little on the low side to keep this acceptable CSI value. Do you think a water replacement is in order? Pool math says to drain 57% of water to reach an ideal CH of 350.
Also is okay to use the pool pump to drain this amount of water? I would close off the skimmer. Or is it better to purchase a portable pump to save wear and tear on the pool pump? Thanks in advance for advise.
Brett

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Certainly up to you, but you can manage this water to a much higher CH. With fill water of 90 ppm, it would take another 2 or 3 complete pool volume evaporation amounts to get into the area of CH it is difficult to control.

When you do plan to drain water, I suggest getting a sump pump. Harbor Freight or Amazon has them for under $100. Much safer than using your pool pump .

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
One thing to consider, in this area I think water rates are lower in the winter than the summer. Also, if you want to do an drainless replacement, winter is a better time because the water is colder and denser so you can extract water from the deep end and replace it at the surface. I have done a 90% replacement this way without much mixing.

Bozer4

Jul 11, 2019
Manteca ca
Thanks for advise guys, I think I'll purchase a sump pump and wait for winter. Maybe if we get a wet winter (fingers crossed) I could use the sump pump to drain water from the deep end before or after a storm and let the rain water bring my CH number down, it's worth a try. If it's a dry winter I'll drain water from the deep end and introduce fill water at the top level of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread