High CH vinyl liner

Feb 8, 2018
NY
I'm having a problem with slightly green tinged water in the deep end.
FC <.5
TA 130 (added muriatic acid to lower)
PH 7.6
CYA 41 (added stabilizer to raise level)
Salt 3400ppm
CH 455 (I only know this because pool store tested water, I never test for CH)

I can't seem to make chlorine. I had SWG raised to 75% and still only have less than .5 FC. I turned SWG off and added a bottle of bleach, but pool is still tinged green (I haven't test FC since adding bleach about an hour ago).

I've also noticed some rust spots on the liner. Could high CH be causing the rust and/or the green tinge? Not sure why I can't raise the FC though. I have a gas heater. Pool store said high CH could cause rust on heater, etc. Not sure I believe anything they say.

Not sure I believe anything they say.
That's the truth right there. A high CH could result in scale not rust. Are you on a well in your area? Sounds like you might have an iron issue. Try a Vitamin C tablet on one of those stains. Rub it right on there and see if it lifts.

As noted above, if you have algae, it's SLAM time. SLAM first and treat for metals last if that's applicable.

Reactions: Cwiggs
That's the truth right there. A high CH could result in scale not rust. Are you on a well in your area? Sounds like you might have an iron issue. Try a Vitamin C tablet on one of those stains. Rub it right on there and see if it lifts.

As noted above, if you have algae, it's SLAM time. SLAM first and treat for metals last if that's applicable.
Where would I get a Vitamin C tablet? Is this specific to pools or are you talking about your run of the mill Vit. C supplement I can get at CVS?

Where would I get a Vitamin C tablet? Is this specific to pools or are you talking about your run of the mill Vit. C supplement I can get at CVS?
Yep, the CVS/Walmart stuff. Tabs though, not gels or gummies. :)

Reactions: michelleca
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.