High CH levels

crudsrus

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2010
Yuma AZ
This is my first post but certainly not my first visit to the forum.

Using the Taylor K2006 tester these are my test results. Since this is my first time using a really good testing kit I decided to take a sample to the pool store to verify my results. :x According to the pool calculator I need to drain over 80% of my pool water?

My water looks clear but I do have some small areas of light green visible algae along the walls. I started using the BBB method about a month ago but I seemed to have missed the part about not needing to shock the pool anymore. I have been using Dry-tec as a shock about once a week using a total of two 1lb bags. I now understand that this shock is 68% Calcium Hypochlorite.

What course of action should Use to correct this problem?
I have the attached spa drained in order to change out the SAL bulbs.
I also have a Solar-Chlor Chlorine Generator.

FC - 2
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 1000 Taylor (1300 leslies)
CYA -100 Taylor (100+ leslies)
Salt -5200

You have two choices: Drain & refill or reverse osmosis. R/O may not be available in your area, which leaves you with one choice. You'll also lose that excessive CYA in the process. Then you can shock (with liquid chlorine) to kill any algae remaining. Right now the CYA is so high you'll spend more on chlorine to shock than you will on a pool's worth of water.

Once you get things balanced, it's pretty easy to maintain things.

In the process of draining pool and spa. What are your thoughts on the refill water as far as using water from my water softener? I have a hose spiget on my softener which i can run to the pool.
should I use this or regular tap water. The water source is city supplied but almost everyone here has a home water softener.

Unfortunately home water softners do not have the capacity to fill a pool. It will help some but after a while...before the softner regenerates, your just pushing through plaon tap water...I'm thinking most softners are good for 2-300 gals a day. What is your fill water CH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.