Gatorstompin

Apr 29, 2022
Jacksonville, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello- I just recently purchased the K-2006c test kit. I use to take my water to pinch a penny and they pretty much always said everything was perfect except maybe a little acid needed to bring down PH. My pool was replastered last year May. It’s has a pebble tec St. Lucia Pearl color. Since the pool has been done I notice after several months what appears to be a fine layer of scale all over bottom of pool. When I asked the pool company they told me it’s “ frosting over”. I was told with darker finishes that I need to keep Ph on lower of range to prevent this. No other instructions. After some posts on another Facebook group I’m told it’s calcium. So, I just did water test and CH is 700 & CYA is 90. I know best way to reduce is drain and refill. My question is. I live in Florida. We are about to hit rainy season where we can pick up 2-3 inches of rain per day during afternoon storms. Will these numbers come down naturally with all the rain we get in then next few months or should I drain and refill now? Also-‘once my CH and CYA are within range, will the scale gradually go away?!
Can the 4 in 1 all purpose chlorine tablets by suncoast be causing my CH to climb?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: With seasonal rains approaching, you can allow the pool to overflow (if you have an overflow drain) or lower the pools water level in advance then let Mother Nature just fill it back up. So yes, with enough heavy FL downpours the CH and CYA should begin to lower a bit.

If the substance you are seeing is indeed calcium, you can try to maintain a lower "CSI" level (see our PoolMath APP) and over time, with consistent brushing, you might see some improvement. But there's no guarantee that it will happen or that it will be uniform across all surfaces. But if you keep the pH on the lower end to effect the CSI reading to around -0.3 to -0.6, it might be worth a try.

Feel free to post your K-2006C test kit results here. You can also use our PoolMath APP and link your test logs to TFP in the settings menu. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.