Hi,

Just ran a full set of tests today:

FC 9.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.7
CYA 70*
TA 70
CH 480-510**

* I usually run CYA at 50-60 but went on a month long vacation requiring a temporary weekly pool service. I asked the service to use LC and tabs, knowing that only LC would not keep the pool algae-free, when only administered weekly. I knew my CYA would be higher when I returned and was prepared to drain a little if necessary. The CYA has actually come down a little on its own.

** Not sure exactly when the test turned blue, but close enough I think.

I need to make the pool more maintenance-free because we tend to be away more and more since retirement. I've been struggling and going back and forth with SWCG vs some type of peristaltic pump (i.e Stenner). I think I've settled on an SWCG, mainly because with a Stenner I will 1) still be transporting chlorine, and 2) with the high temps out here the chlorine degradation will require monitoring of the Stenner's output more frequently than I would like.

So......looking for advice on whether my high CH levels here would make SWCG maintenance an issue. I drained the pool for a pebble-tec repair at the end of March, and already my CH is around 500. This could be due to the abnormally hot weather in AZ this year (we've smashed all previous records for highs over 110 and lows above 90), causing evaporation and lots of auto-fill. Possibly. My fill water is about 200 CH. I had a salt system when the pool was first installed in 2004 but replaced it in 2012, first with pucks, and now jug lugging. The main reason for replacement was that my generator was more work than not -- I was constantly soaking the cell in MA or trying to dial in the right chlorine levels, or adding this blue Beau-Tec stuff to reduce scaling. So I'm a little gun-shy about having another, but I'm hoping with advice here, and my own acquired info, and hopefully the systems are better now than 15 years ago, that it will be a good move.

Looking for any input you may have on high CH and salt systems. Note: This post might better belong in the SWCG forum, so pls move if needed. Thanks!

And it looks like pH has one of the more drastic effects on CSI, so if I keep it at bay I should be OK. Would rather use MA in the pool than on the cell!

Thanks again. Due to my not knowing about TFP methods and working lots of hours back when I had my first SWCG I likely didn't have the best water chemistry. Should go better this time around.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.