mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new to all this but I have noticed when my CC is high based on when I get out of the pool and smell like chlorine. I add liquid chlorine (HASA) weekly. seems like mid week my CC goes up and I have this smelly issue. I'll add chlorine again and it goes away. is there something I'm doing wrong here? should I split my chlorine dose in half and add it twice per week?

Are you testing your pool water? I see the TF-100 is on order. How do you know what your FC level is and how much liquid chlorine (LC) to add?

I add LC daily and usually split it in morning and afternoon. If you cycle your LC additions over days then you will get large swings in your FC level and potential for high CC and also algae.

Are you testing your pool water? I see the TF-100 is on order. How do you know what your FC level is and how much liquid chlorine (LC) to add?

I add LC daily and usually split it in morning and afternoon. If you cycle your LC additions over days then you will get large swings in your FC level and potential for high CC and also algae.
I use Leslies pool test. I know I know. that's why my test kit is on the way (should arrive tomorrow). at first they told me to dump a gal into my pool (that's what I get for going to leslies) and my FC went way high. now I dump roughly half a gal once a week. Sounds like I should be adding some every couple days if not daily?

Wait on your test kit. Add 5ppm Chlorine daily until you get your test kit.

I test daily and add 20-120 oz. a day depending on demand.

Please read: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and FC/CYA Levels.

If you maintain the appropriate amount of FC daily for your CYA, you will not smell or feel any chlorine issues!!

I use Leslies pool test. I know I know. that's why my test kit is on the way (should arrive tomorrow). at first they told me to dump a gal into my pool (that's what I get for going to leslies) and my FC went way high. now I dump roughly half a gal once a week. Sounds like I should be adding some every couple days if not daily?
Once you get your test kit, you will be able to monitor it better. Also, after a while you will get to know your pool better as to how much UV is affecting it, rain, etc. and maybe test every 2nd or 3rd day.
Adding LC every day provides better consistency of maintaining your FC level at the desired level. Once you know your CYA then use the FC/CYA Levels to target the range for your FC. Stay above the minimum and stay in the higher end of the range especially in summer with more UV, etc. trying to eat your FC.
As stated earlier, I add LC in morning and in afternoon. I usually try to have 8 hrs between additions (that is just my own timeline - nothing special about it). So if I get delayed in adding in the early morning and it becomes late morning, then I just wait at least 8 hrs or so.
Good Luck. If you have any questions on testing once you get your kit - come back and ask.
There is a video link on TFTESTKIT that goes to their youtube videos.

Once you get your test kit, you will be able to monitor it better. Also, after a while you will get to know your pool better as to how much UV is affecting it, rain, etc. and maybe test every 2nd or 3rd day.
Adding LC every day provides better consistency of maintaining your FC level at the desired level. Once you know your CYA then use the FC/CYA Levels to target the range for your FC. Stay above the minimum and stay in the higher end of the range especially in summer with more UV, etc. trying to eat your FC.
As stated earlier, I add LC in morning and in afternoon. I usually try to have 8 hrs between additions (that is just my own timeline - nothing special about it). So if I get delayed in adding in the early morning and it becomes late morning, then I just wait at least 8 hrs or so.
Good Luck. If you have any questions on testing once you get your kit - come back and ask.
There is a video link on TFTESTKIT that goes to their youtube videos.
My cya is high according to leslies. 110.. I know I need to drain but I live in California and we're in a drought so I don't really want to drain and refill right now. also I need a replaster and I'm planning on waiting until next year

My cya is high according to leslies. 110.. I know I need to drain but I live in California and we're in a drought so I don't really want to drain and refill right now. also I need a replaster and I'm planning on waiting until next year
Let’s wait for your test kit. Pool store tests are unreliable. You may want to try the CYA test a coupl of times as that one tends to create more questions. Please look at the videos as that will help you get a feel for the testing process.
you can also test your tap water for practice as well.

Let’s wait for your test kit. Pool store tests are unreliable. You may want to try the CYA test a coupl of times as that one tends to create more questions. Please look at the videos as that will help you get a feel for the testing process.
you can also test your tap water for practice as well.
if my cya really is 100+, should I really have 10ppm chlorine? seems high and I have a 3yo daughter that loves to swim

if my cya really is 100+, should I really have 10ppm chlorine? seems high and I have a 3yo daughter that loves to swim
Pool water with CYA is called stabilized chlorine water. It takes stabilized chlorine longer to kill bacteria than it takes chlorine without stabilizer. CYA, cyanuric acid, is very useful but can be a double-edged sword, both increasing chlorine’s lifespan and decreasing its disinfecting power in your pool. Put another way, CYA prevents part of the chlorine from being used to sanitize. That’s why FC needs to increase as your CYA increases.

When you get your test kit and you cannot see the black dot when the tube is filled to the 100 mark, then you will need to do dilution test to get a better estimation of your CYA. See below.
There is a way to do a further dilution but the error of measurement becomes larger with each dilution step. Just remember you still have to add the R-0013 as you do for the standard test. You are only diluting the pool water sample.

Test DilutionPool Sample VolumeTap Water VolumeMultiply CYA level by:
Standard Test101
50%112
33%123
20%145

We can help once you get your test kit and try your CYA test along with the other tests.
This is the link to the videos

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.