High Alkalinity but good PH levels.

coopgraphic

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Ohio
Hi, I had to refill my pool this spring, 11,000 gallons, and my PH is reading 7.6 but my TA is 400. I filled the pool from my well that has hard water. I looked up lowering the TA but it seems like it would take a dangerous amount of muriatic acid to get it down. Thoughts?

Vinyl pool and no heater your TA does not matter. You just need to know it for PoolMath to calculate pH adjustments.

The process to lower TA using muriatic acid is not dangerous. You keep the pH in the 7's the whole time.

The high TA will push you pH up quickly. You can monitor that over the next week or so and see if that is an issue.

It's going to take the same amount of acid to reduce the TA whether it's done in a day or a month. There's no reason to exert yourself. pH will climb rapidly with that TA level, and then you lower it and reduce TA as well. Each time you do it the TA will be lower and the amount of acid needed will be less and the intervals will get longer. You'll be dealing with it daily or every other day no matter what, so don't create more work for yourself.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.