Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Over the last couple of weeks, my pool seems to be using more acid. Over the last 2 weeks, it has consumed nearly 2 gallons of acid. I use an Intellichem system so its pretty easy to track usage because of the tank. I have it set to maintain at 7.6 but the system is having trouble keeping up and is even reaching the maximum daily dosage, which never happened in the summer. My first thought would be that my TA is out of whack (like really high).

I double checked my pH sensor with my k-2005 kit and its close. The readings today were:

pH = 8.0
TA = 80-90 (color changed initially at 80 but took 1 more drop to fully change)
CH = 330
Temp = 55

Does 2 GALLONS over 2 weeks seem high?

m,

The problems you are having is exactly why we never recommend an automated system to control chemical levels. We do recommend automated feeders, but we like the human in the loop to tell the system what to do..

What I would do is temporarily shut off the IntelliChem and manually measure and does with MA for a week, or so, and see if you are making the same decision that your IntelliChem is making. This will tell you if the problem is an IntelliChem issue or some pool issue.

I find it hard to believe that your pool needs a gallon of MA per week.. This time of year my pool uses a few ounces a week.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Confirm that nothing has changed in the operation of your pool with your spa spillover runtime or water features running?

Has your pumps gone into freeze mode running with the cold nights?

@Jimrahbe

Thanks for the input. I did not have this problem over the summer but I will give it a try. I do know the pH is actually high though because when the system switches on in the morning the pH is really high (8.0+). My pumps run from 9am to 9pm daily.

In fact, I had a pump problem a month ago and added by hand for about a week. I was adding a out 16oz per every day or 2.

Confirm that nothing has changed in the operation of your pool with your spa spillover runtime or water features running?

Has your pumps gone into freeze mode running with the cold nights?

I have increased spa spillover time to ensure spa was getting circulated enough. I have 3 sheer water features and I decreased their run time daily to 4 hrs.

I have not noticed them going into freeze mode but it has only been really cold (<32F) 2 nights. It doesnt regularly drop below freezing here in Houston.

How long do you run your spa spillover for?

Why are you running the water features more then 15 minutes a day?

I would cut back on the spa spillover to two 15 minute sessions and cut back on the water features and see what your pH does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
m,

You do understand that running your spa spillover and your three sheers will cause aeration which in-turn drives your pH up..???

You need to either buy more MA or make your wife unhappy, whichever is easier... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

m,

You do understand that running your spa spillover and your three sheers will cause aeration which in-turn drives your pH up..???

You need to either buy more MA or make your wife unhappy, whichever is easier... :mrgreen:

Jim R.
Yea, but guess I didnt realize it would do it THAT much. I'm gonna cut those back and see what happens.

MA...without a doubt. Happy wife, happy life...lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.