PB2K

May 24, 2012
Found this forum searching for DIY pool remodeling help. My pool is 15 years old this June. I live in Northern Utah and the winters have finally taken their toll. I need to replace the coping and tile on three sides. Pool is 18 X 35 X 5 sport pool one 35 side in all water feature and has held up well. The original coping in bullnose brick. I have had a lot of trouble with freeze damage. I want to replace it with cantilevered stamped/color concrete in hopes there will be less places water can get in and raise cain.

The plaster is stained: not terribly in the pool but the spa looks awful. I am thinking of refinishing both with an epoxy paint but I am just starting my research. I must do most of the work myself. I do not have the money to pay someone to do it so I am hoping to find lots of help/info and will welcome and appreciate all I can get.

The pool has also experienced severe freeze damage around the plastic skimmer and the cement around it. I suspect I'll need to cut it out and replace.

Most forums I have come across have been very helpful in the past: cars, trucks, Land Rovers and such. I hope I'll have the same experience here. I am happy to be a new member of Trouble Free Pool. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

I would avoid paint if you possibly can. It won't last all that long and looks terrible when it starts to fail.

Many kinds of stains can be removed, some more easily than others. Have you looked into what kind of staining you have and what it would take to clean it up?

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

I would avoid paint if you possibly can. It won't last all that long and looks terrible when it starts to fail.

Many kinds of stains can be removed, some more easily than others. Have you looked into what kind of staining you have and what it would take to clean it up?

The pool stains are minimal. I believe most are chemical stains. The spa was me being dumb. One year it got pink algae really bad and being stupid I poured acid in it and it turned blue and stained the plaster turquoise. It also etched the plaster. It just keeps getting worse. Its pretty ugly. What are my other options? I would like to make it look new (pretty) again. Are there any other types of coatings?

I was reading that thread called "Concrete Pool Up North". Dang! 4 year project and it still isn't done. It seems like there was way too much work that went into that pool, so complicated. That project isn't the norm is it?