Hi & Variable Speed Motor Upgrade Question from New York

87GN

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2009
Poughkeepsie, New York
I want to upgrade my pool pump from a very old single speed to a new energy efficient variable speed pump/motor, details in my signature. Current motor/pump & filter produces clear water following TFP methods. Recent breaker tripping last few seasons and goal to save energy moving me forward. Prior to opening my pool Memorial Day weekend I just replaced a few fingers on my Perflex EC65 together with both tube sheets and all o-rings so I feel reel confident on my filter not so much on the pump motor. A pool store person shared that if I purchased a Hayward VS motor it would not require plumbing changes since I am using same brand filter Perflex EC65. I attach pics of my pool & motor/pump & filter. A few questions:
1) Is that true?
2) Are there any plumbing changes I should make? My plumbing is below the pool so its raised up on blocks.
3) Should I look at non-Hayward VS pump/motors for better efficiency or reliability vs ease of connection?
4) Any advice on correct size? I looked at some online tools and got lost.
5) Is this a DIY project or no?

Thanks in advance,

JC

Attachments

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I want to upgrade my pool pump from a very old single speed to a new energy efficient variable speed pump/motor, details in my signature. Current motor/pump & filter produces clear water following TFP methods. Recent breaker tripping last few seasons and goal to save energy moving me forward. Prior to opening my pool Memorial Day weekend I just replaced a few fingers on my Perflex EC65 together with both tube sheets and all o-rings so I feel reel confident on my filter not so much on the pump motor. A pool store person shared that if I purchased a Hayward VS motor it would not require plumbing changes since I am using same brand filter Perflex EC65. I attach pics of my pool & motor/pump & filter. A few questions:
1) Is that true?
I do not understand the connection between purchasing a Hayward VS motor and having the same filter. Makes no sense to me.

2) Are there any plumbing changes I should make? My plumbing is below the pool so its raised up on blocks.
You have a tight area to work in and I can't get a good view from the pictures of what your options are.

3) Should I look at non-Hayward VS pump/motors for better efficiency or reliability vs ease of connection?
Look at the Hayward TriStar VS 1.87 HP or the Pentair Intelliflo 011028 or 011056 pumps. Hayward claims to have a more efficient pump then Pentair. But Pentair seems to be more reliable.

4) Any advice on correct size? I looked at some online tools and got lost.
1.87 HP to 3 HP will work. A VS pump is a variable HP pump. So you set the speed to the HP you need.

5) Is this a DIY project or no?
Depends how handy you are doing some 240V electrical work and PVC cutting and gluing. Use pump unions.

Last edited:

87GN

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2009
Poughkeepsie, New York
I do not understand the connection between purchasing a Hayward VS motor and having the same filter. Makes no sense to me.

You have a tight area to work in and I can't get a good view from the pictures of what your options are.

Look at the Hayward TriStar VS 1.87 HP or the Pentair Intelliflo 011028 or 011056 pumps. Hayward claims to have a more efficient pump then Pentair. But Pentair seems to be more reliable.

1.87 HP to 3 HP will work. A VS pump is a variable HP pump. So yous et the speed to the HP you need.

Depends how handy you are doing some 240V electrical work and PVC cutting and gluing. Use pump unions.
Thank you Allen, I will check out those pumps, I care more about reliability than efficiency, failures & repairs can easily eat up savings, I did some reading and to determine pump size the article said to attach a vacuum gauge to the drain plug of my pump and use that in a calculation together with the pressure gauge reading. Is that data required for both VS and single speed pump motors? Thank you

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Thank you Allen, I will check out those pumps, I care more about reliability than efficiency, failures & repairs can easily eat up savings, I did some reading and to determine pump size the article said to attach a vacuum gauge to the drain plug of my pump and use that in a calculation together with the pressure gauge reading. Is that data required for both VS and single speed pump motors? Thank you
I have a hard time explaining articles I have not read. You have a link?

As I said above a VS pump is a variable HP pump. So you set the speed to the HP you need.

People often decide if they are happy with their pump by more subjective measures of how much flow they feel out of the returns or the skimming action they get. It depends what you want to optimize for.