Hi, new member here

jorgehermo

Aug 14, 2021
houston
Hi, I’m Jorge, I’m a new member. I have a 30k gal in ground pool. My pool was very green after 2 weeks vacations. I’m very grateful I found this community, after several visits to Leslies and several hundred dollars wasted in usefless chemicals.
I started the SLAM process last night, and this morning my pool is in a lot better shape. Much better than after doing Green to Clean chem twice, and several pounds of powder “shock”.

I have been learning from the videos and now realize I was so ignorant about a lot of things.

Thanks you TFP folks!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Jorge, this place is full of great info for pool owners and it is all free. Dig in and yes the videos are like speed learning. Be sure to utilize Pool Math too.

Welcome fellow Houstonian. There are many of us from the Houston area so lots of support for area specific issues.
You may want to update your signature to indicate what you are doing to chlorinate your pool, I assume it is liquid chlorine now since you had a green pool. There are several places to purchase LC in the Houston area depending where you live.
Also, do you have Pentair automation? If so, put that in your signature as well.
Good Luck.

Hip Hop Jorge !!! You made it here now, and Welcome !!!! We got you now. You’ll have yourself soon enough. (But we got you in the meantime) :)
I have been learning from the videos and now realize I was so ignorant about a lot of things
Don’t beat yourself up too bad. You did what you were told from the ‘pros’. The pros in that instance are telling you what’s wrong and charging you hundreds for the cure.

The pros here will show you how to do it in a way that is not only awsome for results, but dirt cheap and trouble free. :)

Welcome fellow Houstonian. There are many of us from the Houston area so lots of support for area specific issues.
You may want to update your signature to indicate what you are doing to chlorinate your pool, I assume it is liquid chlorine now since you had a green pool. There are several places to purchase LC in the Houston area depending where you live.
Also, do you have Pentair automation? If so, put that in your signature as well.
Good Luck.
Hi, yes, I'm using LC I bought from Lowe's. I updated my signature as per recommendations

Hip Hop Jorge !!! You made it here now, and Welcome !!!! We got you now. You’ll have yourself soon enough. (But we got you in the meantime) :)

Don’t beat yourself up too bad. You did what you were told from the ‘pros’. The pros in that instance are telling you what’s wrong and charging you hundreds for the cure.

The pros here will show you how to do it in a way that is not only awsome for results, but dirt cheap and trouble free. :)
Now I realized 'pros' at Leslie tells you that CYA on 100 it's ok.....It's ok for you to keep buying "shock" power and other chemicals from them.....now I know recommended range is 30-60, I'll keep an eye on CYA lot closer than before...

• Love
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you use water from hose
Hose and rain. If you are kinda close it will fix itself as it degrades about 4-5 ppm a month and a little more with rain. If you are high you either partially drain or just run the FC at the higher level as it drifts down.
or any chemical like "Bio-active"?
They have worked for some, but if I had to guess, I’d say about 1 out of 10. Just enough that we can’t say to never try it, but it most likely won’t help you.

Reactions: jorgehermo
With regard to CYA ranges for the Houston area this is what I have found this past summer. A CYA of 30 was OK in June because it was really a lot of rain, in fact, I tried to increase CYA twice and kept getting diluted. I got it up to 40 which was good and recently got it up to 50 because it has been really hot and the sparse rains in southwest Houston have not really affected the water chemistry. I am now adding 2 quarts of LC per day to handle FC loss to UV and bather load.

I went away for 2 weeks in July. I brought my FC level up to SLAM level for my CYA at that time using LC. Refer to the FC/CYA Levels
I then put 5 pucks in a floater. I had a neighbor check on the pool after 1 week and added another gallon of LC and add any pucks if needed. I came back to a perfectly fine pool. I let the FC work down for a day or 2 after I returned and resumed normal testing and use of LC ( I removed the floater as well).
Good Luck.

Reactions: mknauss and Newdude
With regard to CYA ranges for the Houston area this is what I have found this past summer. A CYA of 30 was OK in June because it was really a lot of rain, in fact, I tried to increase CYA twice and kept getting diluted. I got it up to 40 which was good and recently got it up to 50 because it has been really hot and the sparse rains in southwest Houston have not really affected the water chemistry. I am now adding 2 quarts of LC per day to handle FC loss to UV and bather load.

I went away for 2 weeks in July. I brought my FC level up to SLAM level for my CYA at that time using LC. Refer to the FC/CYA Levels
I then put 5 pucks in a floater. I had a neighbor check on the pool after 1 week and added another gallon of LC and add any pucks if needed. I came back to a perfectly fine pool. I let the FC work down for a day or 2 after I returned and resumed normal testing and use of LC ( I removed the floater as well).
Good Luck.
thanks! My pool was not properly balanced by the time I left on vacations, so the green outcome was some kind expected...where do you buy you LC? Online? or just at Lowe's/Home Depot?

Home Depot / Lowe’s / Walmart in the outdoors-y garden section with the pool supplies.

or Hardware stores, Ocean State Job lot, Menards, Pinch a penny, Leslies.

Check the %s VS the current price per gallon to see what’s a good deal at any of them.

thanks! My pool was not properly balanced by the time I left on vacations, so the green outcome was some kind expected...where do you buy you LC? Online? or just at Lowe's/Home Depot?
In Houston area, there are 4 places I have found with consistent inventory. Leslie's has a 4 pack of gallon jugs at12.5%, just over $20, Home Depot has a 4 pack of gallon jugs at 10% for about $17 and Pinch a Penny has an refillable exchange program for a 2.5 gal container at just under $10. They say it is 10.5% but feel it is really 10%. There is also a NAPCO store that sells to public 3 days a week but it is a 5 gal container @ 12.5%. It is the cheapest like under $2 per gallon but not sure if they have increased prices recently. They are located in Spring which is like 40 miles from my home in Katy so I stay with Home Depot and Pinch A Penny to meet my needs. Pinch a Penny would have the freshest as they have their big storage tank filled weekly from a distributor. I would think NAPCO would also be very fresh since they are main a distributor as well.
I have never found LC at Lowe's or Ace Hardware in my area. They have other stuff but not LC.
I do not use household bleach as it is normally only 6% and the pool stores or Home Depot offer a better deal.
Just remember, your pool is 2x my size so your LC requirements may be higher.

Hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
In Houston area, there are 4 places I have found with consistent inventory. Leslie's has a 4 pack of gallon jugs at12.5%, just over $20, Home Depot has a 4 pack of gallon jugs at 10% for about $17 and Pinch a Penny has an refillable exchange program for a 2.5 gal container at just under $10. They say it is 10.5% but feel it is really 10%. There is also a NAPCO store that sells to public 3 days a week but it is a 5 gal container @ 12.5%. It is the cheapest like under $2 per gallon but not sure if they have increased prices recently. They are located in Spring which is like 40 miles from my home in Katy so I stay with Home Depot and Pinch A Penny to meet my needs. Pinch a Penny would have the freshest as they have their big storage tank filled weekly from a distributor. I would think NAPCO would also be very fresh since they are main a distributor as well.
I have never found LC at Lowe's or Ace Hardware in my area. They have other stuff but not LC.
I do not use household bleach as it is normally only 6% and the pool stores or Home Depot offer a better deal.
Just remember, your pool is 2x my size so your LC requirements may be higher.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I’ll look for those deals. As I’m in the Katy are as well, May you share how much FC loss your pool during the day? Reason I’m asking is I’m doing a SLAM process right now but my test kit will arrive on Wednesday this week, so I’m kind of blind for the moment. Today I test my pool at Leslies so I have A fresh FC reading, but just want to know how much LC should I add to my pool tonight to keep it at 20 FC level…

Thanks! I’ll look for those deals. As I’m in the Katy are as well, May you share how much FC loss your pool during the day? Reason I’m asking is I’m doing a SLAM process right now but my test kit will arrive on Wednesday this week, so I’m kind of blind for the moment. Today I test my pool at Leslies so I have A fresh FC reading, but just want to know how much LC should I add to my pool tonight to keep it at 20 FC level…
Well your pool is 2x my pool in volume so not easy to estimate FC loss. Do you have PoolMath app?
For your 30k gals, 10% LC will need 1 gal to raise 3.3ppm of FC. If you purchased Leslie's 12.5% it will raise 4.2ppm for 1 gal.

I lose abut 3-4ppm per day so you need to plan around that number as a minimum.
Hope this helps.