Hi from Tulsa, OK

alysondawson

May 13, 2021
Owasso, OK
We put a pool in a year ago, and have already had to drain half of the pool twice due to high Cyanuric acid. We have an automatic chlorinator that uses stabilized chlorine tablets (which contains cyranuric acid). I feel like I am fighting a double edged sword so I am going to turn off the chlorinator and try using bleach.

I was referred to the site by a neighbor who used it in the past.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The link below should help. Unless you install a salt water generator, you'll need to add liquid chlorine (or regular bleach) to avoid increasing the CYA. Be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Stick around here long enough and you'll learn some very good practices to keep the pool clear. :swim:

Yes, good thing is liquid chlorine/bleach are not stabilized. Just be sure to balance the FC to the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae. If you use bleach, don't use Clorox brand and be sure the bleach does NOT say splashless or scented. Hopefully you have a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. One of those is a must. Be sure to add which one to your signature as well for later. If you have any questions, let us know.

I also take our water samples to Leslie's to test. That is how I knew our CyA was high.
That will always be your Achilles heal. Free store testing is often flawed, so be very weary and try to get your own kit. It's a one-time investment each season but pays for itself in accuracy and efficient chemical use. No sales pressures either.