Hi from a Little Pool

krumcake

Jul 13, 2020
Lower Peninsula, Michigan
Living without AC in the Mitten, we can't enjoy our Lakes during the Covid-19 Times...so I got an "adult wader" to keep my elderly Mom and I cool on the farm...trying to keep everything as simple and chem-free as possible, while still keeping her safe and comfortable, and not having to refill. Just setting up, but plan to use: liquid muriatic acid, liquid household bleach, Arm & Hammer Clear Balance tabs, Clorox Pool&Spa 12004CLX Chlorine Stabilizer and AquaAce Spa Hot Tub pH Down if necessary. That said, I purchased those supplies before finding this site. :unsure: Our well water tests top of the range on alkalinity and pH, using my Poolmaster Smart Test 4-way strips. Hope I'm not boring you Built-In Big Guns :rolleyes: But I'm thrilled to find you!

Krum,

Welcome to TFP! Please read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask any questions you may have. TFP is about the least expensive way there is to take care of a pool but it does require a pump. We use generically available chemicals that have the same active ingredients you need as the "pool chemicals". Much less expensive and as you prefer no unnecessary chemicals. Also the tests you are planning to use don't work. Waste of money and the results you get can lead you to add chemicals you don't need. They can cause more harm than good. I'm glad you found this site. I did so 6 years ago and have been using this approach ever since just like thousands of others. Not sure how to approach the "no pump" option other than partial drain/refill frequently. I think you'll find a cheaper approach is to run a small pump/filter if you have the power. You'll need to do something like this to ensure your pool is safe and sanitary for swimming.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please take a moment to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links below in my signature. I think you'll find some of the products we recommend are much cheaper that what you may buy at the pool store. Also see the link below for more info on your pool care. Have a nice day.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thank you both for the welcome! I just came in from adding some acid, and will read the ABCs before I proceed further.

I was kind of wondering about a pump...the pool has the outlets and hoses for one, but it wasn't included. I'll look for one online, and in the meantime skim & stir like crazy, and aerate with the hose nozzle., which I just did after adding the muriatic.
As for the test kit, I only got what was available for curbside pickup from our local big-box store. I haven't ever visited a pool store, and don't plan to. I'm willing to order a test kit, but am not sure which ones are good; I'll poke around here for some advice/articles, as I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder.

I do have a question about the calculator: I can't get it to save my results, as it tells me I need to subscribe. But I'm not sure where to do that, as I only found a link to "upgrade" which it wouldn't let me do because I'm not already subscribed, I guess. I'll look for that question in the forums, too...oh, and I'm using it on a laptop, as I don't use a smartphone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No worries, I'm mostly on a laptop as well as my eyes can't take staring at an android for too long. :crazy: For the test kit, keep it very simple with your small pool. Just like the Seasonal Pool link described above, a simple 5-way drop test kit should be fine. You're welcome to order a TF-100 (my favorite) or Taylor K_2006C, but for such a small pool you may just dump the water if it ever gets yucky. For you, the big things are FC (Free Chlorine), and pH. The stabilizer (CYA) will be added each time you fill the pool (using PoolMath to help with the dosage amount), so you shouldn't have to mess with CYA unless you change the water.

Make yourself at home here and ask questions as needed. If you still hit a roadblock with the subscription to record your tests, please let us know.

Reactions: krumcake
Welcome Krumcake. I had a similar issue with the app. If you figure it out, post the solution here. I eventually gave up and just use excel to log my chemicals. The online calculators are excellent.

As for a pump and filter, I think this one is probably the combination pump/filter that would sit on the shelf next to the pool you bought if you had gone into the store. It looks like it's currently out of stock, but I found some on ebay.

Last edited:
No worries, I'm mostly on a laptop as well as my eyes can't take staring at an android for too long. :crazy: For the test kit, keep it very simple with your small pool. Just like the Seasonal Pool link described above, a simple 5-way drop test kit should be fine. You're welcome to order a TF-100 (my favorite) or Taylor K_2006C, but for such a small pool you may just dump the water if it ever gets yucky. For you, the big things are FC (Free Chlorine), and pH. The stabilizer (CYA) will be added each time you fill the pool (using PoolMath to help with the dosage amount), so you shouldn't have to mess with CYA unless you change the water.

Make yourself at home here and ask questions as needed. If you still hit a roadblock with the subscription to record your tests, please let us know.
Thanks T.S.! I'm new to pools, and new to this forum thing as well, so forgive me if I'm stumbling around or being clueless. It took me a while today to figure out where the tfp test kits were sold. Maybe it's obvious and I just missed it, but I encourage you to put them up front and center: I will love to support your efforts here as much as I possibly can (haven't worked since mid-March, hence the cheap and simple pleasures :cool:🌱📚) but will be joining/donating when I can figure out where and how that's done.

And thank you for pointing out the rock-bottom essentials for me. I have the supplies I need for now, (bleach, muriatic and cya) and I'm prepared to change out water if I need to, so I'll just tiptoe and learn as I go. Thanks again! 👍

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome Krumcake. I had a similar issue with the app. If you figure it out, post the solution here. I eventually gave up and just use excel to log my chemicals. The online calculators are excellent.

As for a pump and filter, I think this one is probably the combination pump/filter that would sit on the shelf next to the pool you bought if you had gone into the store. It looks like it's currently out of stock, but I found some on ebay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey CK and Welcome. For the record, I've never turned a Krumcake down, and I don't plan to anytime soon either. :)