Hey there, NEWBIE here w/ saltwater pool & Hayward automation

~STOLEN~

Jul 11, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
hey guys whats up, just checking in here. most of the important information is in my profile SIG so if you have questions just ask.....BUT....this is why im here

our pool has ZERO shade, we an auto cover that's closed 80% of the time because we are gone and opted for a cover vs a fence. That being said, the water temps are reaching 96-97 DEG during the day , so by the time we get home from work and want to take a dip, its hotter than a shower in the house LOL

I need feedback on the Glacier GPC-25 because that one runs around 1700.00 (in my budget) and i should have enough room on my equipment pad for it to be installed.

PS i havent started on the grass yet LOL its HOT as heck out here
thanks for the help
look fwd to learning more about these pools & systems!!!!

Attachments

• 58420946676--7C863E0E-6F57-42BF-8D6B-0469519B3D0C.JPG
    58420946676--7C863E0E-6F57-42BF-8D6B-0469519B3D0C.JPG
    536 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1667.JPG
    IMG-1667.JPG
    779.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-1536.JPG
    IMG-1536.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 18
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

FYI, your signature is blank, perhaps you put the info in the wrong box?

Interesting that your pool is that warm. I guess the high evaporation I get keeps my pool a little cooler.

I do not know anything about chillers ... many people use fountains in the pool to cool via evaporation, but that is not going to work with a autocover on.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

FYI, your signature is blank, perhaps you put the info in the wrong box?

Interesting that your pool is that warm. I guess the high evaporation I get keeps my pool a little cooler.

I do not know anything about chillers ... many people use fountains in the pool to cool via evaporation, but that is not going to work with a autocover on.

HEY there
yes every forum is a little different and i have to learn the usercp stuff for this one and get the sig filled in LOL

its about 90 deg here in indianapolis and since my dark grey cover is closed all day (we didn't want a fence) it tends to get pretty warm.
I have 2-Tri stream deck fountains, but by the time they drop the temp enough to get in the pool its 10pm and im headed to bed.
i have the hayward pro logic system with a 2 speed motor.....i have high speed from 11am to 9pm and low speed from 9pm-11am
ph is usually low in the morning and at the tipping point of high when i get home in the evening ranges from 6.8-7.8 in a 24hr span

Welcome to the forum!
With a cover, why run the pump 24 hours per day? You really only need to run it as long as it takes to create the chlorine you need (which, if covered all the time, is not much). Since you do not need to skim, no real reason to run it so much, and never on high speed.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
With a cover, why run the pump 24 hours per day? You really only need to run it as long as it takes to create the chlorine you need (which, if covered all the time, is not much). Since you do not need to skim, no real reason to run it so much, and never on high speed.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

So are you saying my pool is so hot as a result of the filter being on all the time, or in is it you're opinion i need to set my filter schedule different than i was orig. instructed?

At this point, I'm doing everything i was told by the person who installed it and fired it up for me back in march.
I've only added 30 dollars worth of chemicals since march 8 and it was muratic acid.
water is crystal clear and pool bottom is spotless

i just wanna sort out having pool water that is too hot to swim in after work at this point.

The heat of the water is not dramatically effected by the pump running all the time. Your electric bill is.

With a SWCG you should not have to add much of any chemicals.

That is a WAY longer pump run time that you need. I would think maybe 2 hours on high at the most and then on low long enough for your SWG to make enough chlorine and that is it. Save yourself a fair amount of electricity on the pump usage.

Of course that is not going to help cool your water, but will save money towards buying a chiller ;)

SO last night i actually turned the pump off when we went to bed and made it a point to check the status this morning. I wondered for the rest of the day how pump speed and time affected the water, or if it did at all.

when i shut it off-----PH---7.5-----ORP 730
today @ 8am its-----PH 5.8------ORP 750

so its on low speed now until i get home and ill just set it to run on high for a couple hours. It seems like this only started happening when it got really hot outside. Its been upper 80s for about 10 days now

If anyone has suggestions for time of day--length of time---& speed settings for me, let me know ill try them out for sure!
im researching currently if somewhere in the hayward program will allow acid to be added while pump is on low speed. (currently its only on high speed) but that may be a default setting i can get around.....

and yes
water was 95 when i got home at 4:30 yesterday, i NEED a chiller LOL

thanks for the help so far !!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.