Hey Florida folk - how is your CYA holding up?

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Well, it's dropped again. I just ordered 10 pounds from Amazon, so should be able to add gradually and keep up with the degradation due to sunlight(?), high temps(?)...
Pool is crystal clear, and SWG is keeping up with demand, so we haven't gotten into trouble yet, but my CYA definitely disappears more quickly than all the "you're going to have to drain to lower your CYA" threads would make it seem possible.

If you are in SUNNY (when it's not storming) Florida, how are your CYA levels doing?

Mt CYA tends to be pretty steady - the only issue is when we have torrential rains and I drain the pool of the excessive water. Then everything (salt level, CYA, calcium) all go down.

It's a small price to pay for year-round pool weather!

What is your pool water temperature?

High pool water temperatures will cause the chlorine to oxidize Cyanuric Acid. This tends to show in water temperatures of 90+ degrees. Every 10F increase in temperature results in roughly doubling the rate of degradation.

Chlorine breakdown in sunlight causes CYA degradation by hydroxyl radicals. This can cause a loss from 2 ppm per month to 10 ppm per month depending on the amount of sunlight the pool is exposed to.

In an area with 90+ pool water temperatures and extreme sunlight exposure 10+ ppm of CYA a month can be lost through degradation.

What is your pool water temperature?

High pool water temperatures will cause the chlorine to oxidize Cyanuric Acid. This tends to show in water temperatures of 90+ degrees. Every 10F increase in temperature results in roughly doubling the rate of degradation.

Chlorine breakdown in sunlight causes CYA degradation by hydroxyl radicals. This can cause a loss from 2 ppm per month to 10 ppm per month depending on the amount of sunlight the pool is exposed to.

In an area with 90+ pool water temperatures and extreme sunlight exposure 10+ ppm of CYA a month can be lost through degradation.
Water temp has been sitting at 89, occasionally hitting 90. We haven't turned on the chiller yet this summer, but it gets tempting.

Yes, I keep a load of pucks (with Ducky) in storage just in case of torrential rains. Otherwise my CYA stays pretty stable with water temperature near 90 deg. Nice thing about Florida is that we typically can lower our CYA at no cost, just wait for the next few rains to overflow pool.

I lose a lot of CYA. I order the 25lb bag from Amazon. Lasts slightly longer than one season. Between my pool temp averaging between 88-92 and the rains we have had I just lose a ton.

And I read those same my CYA is so high threads and giggle. Not here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I seem to drop 10 on the test in about 6-8 weeks. I've added several times this year, although I have been experimented with FC UV loss and CYA level. I am trying to determine if 50 has any measurable benefit over 40. 40 definitely outperforms 30, but the next step up seems hard to quantify. it definitely is not as dramatic as 30 to 40. I just went to 50 again, so we will see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.