Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have gone through the TFP process before and am sort of excited to do it again - is that weird?

My pump went out during Hurricane Matthew in October, so my water has sat since that time - enough said.

New pump, SWG flow switch, and refreshed T-100 reagents and I am ready to go. My numbers from today are posted below. This is after allowing the pool to circulate for 24 hours. I will be using the pool calculator to get info, but where should I start? pH? Thanks in advance! I will be sure to keep pics posted along the way!!

FC = 0
CC = 0 (I tested this more than once as I know it cannot be true. Is pH throwing it off? Something else?)
pH = 8.2+ (bright pink)
TA = 70
CH = 25
CYA = 0 (tested twice, never lost sight of the dot; I did have to use a sump pump to drain quite a bit of water after the hurricane and ended up putting some back in there recently)

You want to use our PoolMath (not the old pool calculator.com which is not maintained).

I would get 30ppm of CYA dissolving, then lower the pH to the lower 7s, and SLAM away.

Absolutely, gets the socks of CYA dissolving, then go ahead and add the MA to lower the pH. Once in range you can start the SLAM assuming your CYA is at the target (even though it is still dissolving). If you massage the sock enough, you can get the CYA to dissolve in only a day or so.

CC is a byproduct of the FC breaking stuff down. You have not put any FC in the pool. Plus CC just does not always show up just because there is algae ... which is why there are 3 criteria to stop the SLAM process ;)

Although we are several days past my "start", it is really day 2 of the SLAM as I have been adjusting the pH, cleaning the filter, etc. until now. I added bleach yesterday around 7pm and cleaned my filter grids just before that. See the before photo below of the grids. I was so anxious to get it all back together I forgot an after photo of the grids ;)

I added enough bleach to get me to shock level. When I rechecked everything this morning the filter was due a backwash and the FC was at 6.5. I added enough bleach to get back to shock level and will recheck ASAP to keep it as close to shock as possible. As you can see below, the water turned into a nice teal overnight - and doesn't quite have that swamp smell any longer!

Morning Numbers:
FC = 6.5
CC = 1.0

Filter prior to cleaning grids

Steps Morning of Day 2 (12 hours in)

Deep End of Day 2 (12 hours in)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Inside the ladder rails and beneath the rungs are common hiding spots for algae. Be sure to brush them. If you can pull the ladder out, even better. It's probably held in with a wedge, exactly like the gooseneck on your bicycle's handlebar.

Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to get that cleaned thoroughly!

Making progress! The filter is continually reaching its backwash pressure, so I have been keeping it backwashed and refreshed as much as possible. Keeping the FC up and brushing every day so far. I plan to vac either today or tomorrow to help get out some of the foreign objects! CC is remaining 1.0 for now. See updated progress pics below!

Steps at the End of Day 2 (24 hours in)

Deep End at the End of Day 2 (24 hours in)

Keeping a check on the numbers!

Steps Start of Day 3 (36 hours in)

Deep End Start of Day 3 (36 hours in)

Update time! I can see the bottom in the shallow end and can start to see the bottom in the deep end. At least I can see what I am vacuuming now!

I do have a question, though. I noticed wrinkles (see pic below) in the shallow end. They were not there at the end of the summer. What could have caused them? Should I do anything to try and remove them? Thanks in advance!

Day 8 - Steps

Day - 8 Wrinkles/Shallow End

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.