Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've been taking care of the mechanical portion of my in-laws pool for years now, but I never thought I'd have to take care of one myself now that we've bought a house with an in ground pool and spa. I knew nothing about pool chemistry before this website, so I thank this community for its existence and willingness to help.

I actually think my local pool store isn't so bad. They're a single operation in a warehouse, and they haven't tried to sell me any cure alls. Just plain looking HASA bags of sodium bicarbonate, cyanuric acid, and 4 gallon batches of 12.5% liquid chlorine. The latter is $21.16 out the door; not bad. I felt I had to put it out there since pool stores - at least their testing - get a bad rap around here, haha!

When I took over the pool, it was FC - 1, pH - 7.8, CYA - 5, TA - 60, TDS - 5000.

Today, solely following their instructions, it's FC - 3, pH - 7.6, CYA - 40, TA - 70.

But I'm learning from Pool School that FC should be 3 *minimum* for my CYA, and my PoolMaster color comparator test kit that the seller left for me only goes up to 3, so I'm considering the TF-100 and speed stir. Also need to figure out my calcium hardness, since there's a disconnected water softener at the house which seems to imply someone thought hard water was a problem at some point. With our first born due in 3 weeks, I'm pondering the $112 purchase a bit longer than usual.

Anyways, thanks for reading my rambles!

Attachments

• ISfkokcifj111w1000000000.jpg
    ISfkokcifj111w1000000000.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
Welcome neighbor...
I'm pondering the $112 purchase a bit longer than usual.
Ponder this question: What did you pay for the pool and the house that came with it? Does that help?

In all seriousness though, you need a good test kit and the TF-100 is the best value.

Best of luck! Sounds like you're off to a good start.