Helping convert a friend to TFP

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I have a buddy who I am working to convert to TFPM, but he has a salt pool, and I don't, so not sure how the process differs. I assumed the method would be the same, however, right away I noticed a difference, because the Chlorine/CYA chart only shows a range of 60-80 for CYA on salt pools. Can someone give me some guidance on the basic steps in the order I need to do for the following situation?

38,200 gallons
Saltwater

FC 0
TC 0
SALT 1000
CH 170
CYA 30
TA 50
PH 7

Thanks!!

I have a buddy who I am working to convert to TFPM, but he has a salt pool, and I don't, so not sure how the process differs. I assumed the method would be the same, however, right away I noticed a difference, because the Chlorine/CYA chart only shows a range of 60-80 for CYA on salt pools. Can someone give me some guidance on the basic steps in the order I need to do for the following situation?

38,200 gallons
Saltwater

FC 0
TC 0
SALT 1000
CH 170
CYA 30
TA 50
PH 7

Thanks!!
Is this a saltwater pool, or a pool with a SWG?

A pool with a SWG is a chlorine pool, except the chlorine comes from the salt added to the pool instead of adding bleach. With the exception of the CYA to FC ratio, the care of the pool chemistry is the same.

What is the pool material? Plaster? Fiberglass? Vinyl?

In the number you posted, the pH is low, and there is no chlorine. The first thing that needs to be done is to balance the water and have an established FC level in algae free water. Once the water is balanced, add the proper amount of salt, raise CYA to recommended SWG levels, give it 24 hours to dissolve the salt completely & turn on the SWG to take over adding FC to the pool.

You will continue to test the water the same as a manually dosed pool, including daily FC & pH checks.

I will not comment on the CH level until I understand the pool surface.

Sorry, it is a SWG pool, gunite with pebbletec finish. If this was my pool, I would raise the FC, then see if it passes the OCLT, and if not, move on to a SLAM, but in his case, the FC is generated by the SWG, and the salt level seems low, so would I first add salt, or raise PH or what? I just don't know what to do first, then next, and so on. It appears that the CYA is also low, so what if we can't keep FC in the pool or it fails the OCLT? Wouldn't I to raise the CYA level to at least 60 before using the chart to determine shock FC? Sorry, but just a bit confused with this one.

I would leave the CYA right where it is, get your FC in the 5-7ppm range and do an OCLT. If you loose 1ppm of FC or more overnight, it’s time for a SLAM. The SLAM will be easier with the CYA at 30ppm.

If you pass the OCLT (or finish the SLAM), you can then add your salt, giving it 24 hours with the filter running to completely dissolve. Then start the SWG and raise your CYA to 70ppm.

Also, your pH should be adjusted up just a bit by aerating the water, but not until after your OCLT and or SLAM.

You should also bring the CH into the recommended range.

I would leave the CYA right where it is, get your FC in the 5-7ppm range and do an OCLT. If you loose 1ppm of FC or more overnight, it’s time for a SLAM. The SLAM will be easier with the CYA at 30ppm.

If you pass the OCLT (or finish the SLAM), you can then add your salt, giving it 24 hours with the filter running to completely dissolve. Then start the SWG and raise your CYA to 70ppm.

Also, your pH should be adjusted up just a bit by aerating the water, but not until after your OCLT and or SLAM.

You should also bring the CH into the recommended range.

Thanks a bunch. So to get the FC up to 5-7 range, do I still add bleach? I only ask because with a SWG, wouldn’t you normally just increase the production on the SWG? Same question for SLAM, use bleach?

You want to use bleach to get to proper FC level after SLAM, then run the SWG to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.