Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My coworker has a 15 yr old concrete chlorine pool. This summer she had black algae, and now has a bit of green algae. She's been battling the pool being off for weeks now. I went with her today to the local pool store (Carlton Pools) where they tested it. Results below.

Add 4lbs of Lo-n-Slo, then wait 20 min and add 8 lbs Chlorine. Run overnight and then add 1.5 bottles of Algaecide in the morning. Said she wasn't worried about the metal or the Alk (#'s 1 and 2 below).

Any thoughts? Told her I'd ask here since I'm learning pool store rec's can be filled with hype thanks to TFP!

pool.jpg
ppol1.jpg

LOL - Advise her to get an account here and try the trouble free pool method. I wouldn't trust anything the store tested and of course TFP does not advise using magical potions to clear up a problem caused by an unbalanced pool.

LOL - Advise her to get an account here and try the trouble free pool method. I wouldn't trust anything the store tested and of course TFP does not advise using magical potions to clear up a problem caused by an unbalanced pool.
She's selling her house (in contract) and can not wait to be done with her pool! lol

If the readings are correct, then the water is pretty messed up.

However, we don't base advice upon unreliable pool store testing. But to comment on their recommendations, the cal-hypo recommendation won't even get her to SLAM level for the CYA they are claiming she has. Essentially they are just going off of the old 10x CC shock thing that never really made much sense but of course pool stores cling to because they can't be bothered to learn anything new. Sorry, I digress. The acid recommendation would only drop her to 7.5. And the algaecide is typical pool store drek.

Prognosis: awful pool store advice. But that is redundant, I suppose.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
She's selling her house (in contract) and can not wait to be done with her pool! lol

Honestly then just pour in some regular old cheap laundry no frills bleach. If you can test for chlorine try to keep it at 5 parts. If not, just add 1-2 gallons a day. I doubt her pool is 40k gallons most people over-estimate the volume.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.