Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my first sand replacement attempt. I emptied and discarded old sand. Pulled out the laterals/tube assembly and carefully checked for any breaks or cracks, then cleaned everything. All was ok. Just completed refilling the filter with 175 lbs. of new sand, VERY carefully scooped in with a 24 oz. grain scoop. All went well and the tube is exactly centered. (sometimes it pays not to hurry, according to my wife!) The pool still has the intake and return valves turned off; the filter has not run at all yet this year. Upon lifting the winter cover, our water is crystal clear. I want to do a 2 minute backwash, then rinse the new sand prior to opening the pool for filtering. Should I add water to the filter sand to settle it prior to backwashing? Or just close it up, set my multi-port to backwash, prime the pump, turn it on, and let the pool water come in? Thanks in advance.

On top of your filter, you should have a bleed valve. Open it, make sure all connections to the pool are water/air tight, and that the plug is in the bottom of the filter. Let it bleed air until you get water out of the bleed valve.
Once that is done, set it to backwash, followed by a rinse, and you should be good to go.

No bleed valve on top of the filter. My plug is installed, and I also replaced the pressure guage, using Teflon tape. My dry sand is about 6" below the top of my center tube. If I fire it up in backwash mode with dry sand, will I somehow risk getting sand into my laterals? Or should I just add water prior? Appreciate your response. Thanks!

If you could, take a picture of your multiport valve, or a couple from different angles.
There are very few that don't have a bleed valve.

No bleed valve on top of the filter. My plug is installed, and I also replaced the pressure guage, using Teflon tape. My dry sand is about 6" below the top of my center tube. If I fire it up in backwash mode with dry sand, will I somehow risk getting sand into my laterals? Or should I just add water prior? Appreciate your response. Thanks!
I just setup a new intex sand filter and pump, the directions called for water after filling with sand to level it off. Then open the plunger valves, then the 2 bleeder valves until water comes out of them. Then backwash until clear, then rinse a couple minutes, then turn to filter and give er.

I have a 250lb Hayward sand filter and I just got it together and running a couple of weeks ago.
I knew I should have backwashed and rinsed the new sand, but I didn't have time or a fitting for the backwash connection so I rinsed it into my new pool. :p
That sounds stupid, but it was late and I needed the thing running.

The good news is, you'd never know it happened. If you have the time, backwash it for a while, shut the pump off and move it to rinse, wait 5-10 seconds, start the pump and rinse for a bit. Then shut the pump off, move it to filter and you're good to go. I believe "rinse" is basically "filter" mode, but it sends the water out to make sure any dirt etc that ended up on the "clean" side is rinsed out before you send the water back to the pool. Backwashing stirs everything up.

There's no air bleeds on the Hayward stuff, it's quite a bit more rugged than the Intex stuff. It'll blow the air into the pool via the return until the system is full. Make sure the pump is primed on the suction side and never run the pump if it's dry, the shaft seal won't like it.

You really should have filled the filter half way with water before pouring sand in as it helps protect the laterals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.