Dkaakd

Jul 23, 2019
Plano, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our 20yr old Jacuzzi Magnum Plus finally died. I am not sure of the HP - it only drives 2 - 24" sheer decent waterfalls and 2 - 2' fountains (bubblers). There is a separate 2.5 hp whisperflo pump for the pool filtration and spa.

Trying to figure out the size of this Jacuzzi pump? I think 2 - 3 hp, but not sure. What is an equivalent Pentair replacement?

Since Jacuzzi is long gone, I would like to replace it with either a Pentair whisperflow or superflo.

Thoughts and advice on hp size and replacement are much appreciated!

20191017_121759.jpg20191017_121806.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

How do you control that pump? Does it connect to any automation?

You will probably need to get as VS pump since recent federal regulations have banned the sale of single speed pool pumps with more than 1.1HP although you can still find some in the supply chain. Pump DOE Regulations - Further Reading

What would you think about swapping pumps and getting a new VS pump for your main pump and using your existing Whisperflo pump for your water features? The VS pump will probably save you a bunch on energy costs.

What is your daily runtime for each pump?

@mas985 what is your current thinking about Pentair pumps for a water feature?

Last edited:
@ajw22 thanks for the reply.

Pumps are controlled via a Jandy 1 touch.

If I have to swapout the main single speed whisperflo, I can. Its not a bad idea, that will require 2x the work and I will need to buy another 2.5 hp replacement for the main.

The main pump (whisperflo) runs about 8 hrs/ day in Summer and 5 hrs in winter. The Jacuzzi (the dead pump) only runs about half as long as the main pump since it just operates water features.

What Rev version is your Aqualink at? If you are Rev O or better then your Aqualink supports controlling Jandy and Pentair VS pumps.

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

It does not sound like your Aqualink can directly control a VS pump without an upgrade.

Your pump choices are:

• See what 2-3 HP SS pump you can find available.
  • Get a Pentair IntelliFlo VS or SuperFlo Vs pump and install it as your main pump and swap your other pump into the water features.
  • Get a Pentair Waterflow Pump -

To determine the best waterflow pump for you we need to estimate the Total Head of your water features based on the pipe size and length and the water GPM requirements.

Pentair Waterfall Pump Performance.jpg

@ajw22

Model 8156
RS8-Combo
Firmware Rev: MMM
You could swap the Jacuzzi pump for the existing filtration pump and then get an IntelliFlow or IntelliPro VSP pump (not VF/VSP). They can be used with your existing automation with the addition of an IntelliComm 2 interface. Not cheap, but less than a new control. Or, get a Jandy upgrade kit installed in the Aqualink and it will control the Pentair or Jandy variable-speed pumps. Again, not cheap. Most Jandy parts are hard to get online, Pentair not so much.

it only drives 2 - 24" sheer decent waterfalls and 2 - 2' fountains (bubblers).
Is there only a 2" line to/from the pump split at the pool or is it a different configuration? Is there a filter in-line? Normally there is with sheer decents.

It does not sound like your Aqualink can directly control a VS pump without an upgrade.

Your pump choices are:

• Get a Pentair IntelliFlo VS or SuperFlo Vs pump and install it as your main pump and swap your other pump into the water features.

To determine the best waterflow pump for you we need to estimate the Total Head of your water features based on the pipe size and length and the water GPM requirements.

View attachment 382073

Your pump choices are:

View attachment 382073
Thanks for your help on this. A SS replacement is the most cost effective option.
Is there only a 2" line to/from the pump split at the pool or is it a different configuration? Is there a filter in-line? Normally there is with sheer decents.
From the pump, there are two return lines - 1 to the (2) sheer decents and 1 to the (2) bubblers. There is a single line coming to the pump from those water features. No filter - the filter is on the main pump which has it's own intake and output lines to the drains, skimmers and spa.

You could swap the Jacuzzi pump for the existing filtration pump and then get an IntelliFlow or IntelliPro VSP pump (not VF/VSP). They can be used with your existing automation with the addition of an IntelliComm 2 interface. Not cheap, but less than a new control. Or, get a Jandy upgrade kit installed in the Aqualink and it will control the Pentair or Jandy variable-speed pumps. Again, not cheap. Most Jandy parts are hard to get online, Pentair not so much.
I am a bit confused by this approach. If I can use the existing Whisperflo pump in place of the Jacuzzi - why can't I just replace the Jacuzzi pump with a similar single speed pump without replacing my controller and buying another VS pump as the main?

Seems like more cost and equipment. My issue is trying to figure out the HP and a comparable pump to the broken Jacuzzi Mag Plus.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am a bit confused by this approach. If I can use the existing Whisperflo pump in place of the Jacuzzi - why can't I just replace the Jacuzzi pump with a similar single speed pump without replacing my controller and buying another VS pump as the main?
Because it may be difficult to find a SS pump in that size. As was mentioned, the DOE does not allow the manufacture of large SS pumps anymore so they are very difficult to find. Plus you do not know the size of the existing pump so it will be difficult to match so the feature performance may be different. The Magnum Plus comes in sizes from 0.5 HP to 3HP.

Based on your description, a waterfall pump may work ok but again, it may not have exactly the same performance as the old pump. In fact, most likely it wont. The safest bet is to get the largest WF pump if you want to go that route.

Another option is to take apart the pump and see if the impeller has a part# on it. That can identify the size of the pump.

Reactions: Dkaakd
Thank you all for your help. I found out that the broken Jacuzzi Magnum Plus is a 1.5HP. Now just need to figure out a suitable single speed replacement. Flow rate charts for a 22yr old pump are hard to come by.

The dedicated water feature pumps seem like a good option since this is only for water features and I would not need to update my jandy 1 touch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.