Help with Pool bid???

bigtexx

May 18, 2019
NC
We are excited to start the pool building process. We have decided on the Lagoon design vinyl liner pool. We only have one bid at this point but are trying to find another PB to get another bid. We are a little limited with not many local pool construction companies close by. We would love some feedback on if the current bid is good/bad/indifferent. Also, how does the equipment look?

Thanks in advance for your input an advice!

Pool Type and Size:
18x34x36 Lagoon - 3’ – 6’ Deep 26,000 gallons, 118 ft perimeter

Pool to Include:
Shallow End Vinyl over steel steps
Deep End Vinyl over bench
Shallow End Stainless Railing, deep end Stainless Ladder
3 LED lights – with remote control
Liner – Manuf by Latham - 20 mil, limited 20 year limited prorated warranty
Sand Filter - Hayward - 1 year warranty
3 Return Jets, 2 Skimmers, 2 Main Drains
Pump system – Hayward 1.50 hp pump – 1 year warranty
2 decorative deck jets with valve
Pool walls constructed of 14 Gauge Galvanized Steel – Life time Warranty manufactured by Latham/Fort Wayne Pools
Pool bottom will be constructed of vermiculite and mortar material
Plumbing will be 1 ½ inch plumbing code sch 40 PVC, electric will be 1 inch electric code PVC
Electric sub panel and equipment location TBD. Customer will need to have adequate space on house electric panel for additional electric requirements for pool panel
Concrete deck will be 4 inch cantilever coping with 600 sq ft, brushed concrete. Concrete over 600 sq ft will be $7 sq ft. This will include a concrete buggy.
Intermatic timer with freeze protection – 1 year warranty
Purechlor salt system – 5 year warranty
600 lbs of Salt for chlorine system
Raised Large Picasso fiberglass tanning ledge with spill over feature. Rock facade around ledge, rock colors TBD
Mastertemp 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater, Gas hookup to Utility will be customer responsibility
Diving Rock

Price - $40,500 plus applicable taxes

I would highly recommend an automation system with your pool setup. Things that lead me to using automation for your setup are:
Heater
Deck jets
SWG
Spillover feature
3 LED lights

As part of the Hayward automation, you will get a T-Cell 15 SWG, so skip the off brand. Hayward makes a solid/reliable cell.

What model/size is sand filter?

Is that a single speed pump? If so, definitely change it to a VSP. You have a lot of things going on in that pool to warrant one.

I dislike rocks at the water line. When rocks get wet, they often develop a line on them. Rocks overhanging as coping with a tile waterline is a better functional choice in my view. Though you lose a little bit of aesthetics but I think its worth it.

Get Pouralid skimmer covers. They need to be on hand when the deck is poured. They include a collar that works with most skimmer assemblies and it makes the skimmer cover disappear into the deck because the concrete is poured into the lid.

B,

Make sure your salt cell is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool..

Any pool builder that would install a single speed pump in a saltwater pool, has no clue what he is doing.. It just does not make any sense.. Upgrade to either a 2-speed pump or a VS pump.. You will have to run the pump a long time to generate the amount of chlorine you need.. So running slow or on low will save you big time on electricity..

Thanks,

Jim R.

If your pool is only going to be 6' deep that is *not* a safe pool for diving. You need a minimum of 7' but 8+ is better.

I'm sort of shocked a pool builder would even plan for a diving rock on that shallow of a pool. Please discuss this with him. Also take note of where a bench would be in relation to where people would be jumping/diving in. The bench needs to be far out of the way.

I gotta agree with Bmoreswim about the rocks. I dislike them for aesthetic reasons as I feel they're just overdone, and potentially a head banger if they hang over the edge and a swimmer comes up to it.

Maddie :flower: <--trauma nurse with lots of diving accident experience

3' is mighty shallow. Hold a tape measure and see where 3' hits you. Most people will not be able to do a full crawl stroke without hitting their knuckles.

I would love to see the design drawing and a pic of where this pool will be going.

Get model numbers for everything! This will save many headaches down the road.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the input. Definitely makes sense regarding the automation. PB says it will add about $1200 to the total.
As far as the pump in concerned is it more of an electricity cost or is to performance? From what I can see the VSP would be about $400-$500 more.

Thanks

I would highly recommend an automation system with your pool setup. Things that lead me to using automation for your setup are:
Heater
Deck jets
SWG
Spillover feature
3 LED lights

As part of the Hayward automation, you will get a T-Cell 15 SWG, so skip the off brand. Hayward makes a solid/reliable cell.

What model/size is sand filter?

Is that a single speed pump? If so, definitely change it to a VSP. You have a lot of things going on in that pool to warrant one.

I dislike rocks at the water line. When rocks get wet, they often develop a line on them. Rocks overhanging as coping with a tile waterline is a better functional choice in my view. Though you lose a little bit of aesthetics but I think its worth it.

Get Pouralid skimmer covers. They need to be on hand when the deck is poured. They include a collar that works with most skimmer assemblies and it makes the skimmer cover disappear into the deck because the concrete is poured into the lid.

If your pool is only going to be 6' deep that is *not* a safe pool for diving. You need a minimum of 7' but 8+ is better.

I'm sort of shocked a pool builder would even plan for a diving rock on that shallow of a pool. Please discuss this with him. Also take note of where a bench would be in relation to where people would be jumping/diving in. The bench needs to be far out of the way.

I gotta agree with Bmoreswim about the rocks. I dislike them for aesthetic reasons as I feel they're just overdone, and potentially a head banger if they hang over the edge and a swimmer comes up to it.

Maddie :flower: <--trauma nurse with lots of diving accident experience

Changed our minds. Going with 8' deep end. Thanks for the input!

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
As far as the pump in concerned is it more of an electricity cost or is to performance? From what I can see the VSP would be about $400-$500 more.

Both. With a SWG, it will only be generating chlorine while the pump is running. Which means you need to run your pump a lot. Which is a lot cheaper with a VSP. I don't have a SWG, but the savings from a single speed pump to a VSP was significant even for me. You'll save a lot more than $400-$500 over the life of the pool going with a VSP.

And also on performance, you are going to want to vary your pump speed based on what features you have running at any one time. While you can partially open and close valves, using pump speed is more straightforward.

What is he proposing for the $1,200 automation price? Names/model numbers specifically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's an example of what I was referring to with rocks above waterline tile. Are your rocks planned in the water? I may have misread your original post if they are already above water level.

Freeform in MA

We are excited to start the pool building process. We have decided on the Lagoon design vinyl liner pool. We only have one bid at this point but are trying to find another PB to get another bid. We are a little limited with not many local pool construction companies close by. We would love some feedback on if the current bid is good/bad/indifferent. Also, how does the equipment look?

Thanks in advance for your input an advice!

Pool Type and Size:
18x34x36 Lagoon - 3’ – 6’ Deep 26,000 gallons, 118 ft perimeter

Pool to Include:
Shallow End Vinyl over steel steps
Deep End Vinyl over bench
Shallow End Stainless Railing, deep end Stainless Ladder
3 LED lights – with remote control
Liner – Manuf by Latham - 20 mil, limited 20 year limited prorated warranty
Sand Filter - Hayward - 1 year warranty
3 Return Jets, 2 Skimmers, 2 Main Drains
Pump system – Hayward 1.50 hp pump – 1 year warranty
2 decorative deck jets with valve
Pool walls constructed of 14 Gauge Galvanized Steel – Life time Warranty manufactured by Latham/Fort Wayne Pools
Pool bottom will be constructed of vermiculite and mortar material
Plumbing will be 1 ½ inch plumbing code sch 40 PVC, electric will be 1 inch electric code PVC
Electric sub panel and equipment location TBD. Customer will need to have adequate space on house electric panel for additional electric requirements for pool panel
Concrete deck will be 4 inch cantilever coping with 600 sq ft, brushed concrete. Concrete over 600 sq ft will be $7 sq ft. This will include a concrete buggy.
Intermatic timer with freeze protection – 1 year warranty
Purechlor salt system – 5 year warranty
600 lbs of Salt for chlorine system
Raised Large Picasso fiberglass tanning ledge with spill over feature. Rock facade around ledge, rock colors TBD
Mastertemp 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater, Gas hookup to Utility will be customer responsibility
Diving Rock

Price - $40,500 plus applicable taxes
I just had the same size pool quoted in south Jersey for 44k and nowhere near as many extras as you. A couple lights , heater, walk in steps. Yours seems awfully cheap or a real good deal, good luck ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.