Help with picking a vinyl liner please!

Mar 21, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
We are FINALLY getting a new liner and I am having a much harder time than I ever expected. Imagine that?! :D Our installer uses Plastimayd, VynAll and Loop Loc liners. I love the grays but afraid our deep end may be too dark or murky. I have a 16x32 and it is covered in trees. To say we get a lot of liter and bugs is an understatement! I would like to be able to see enough to know there are no creepy crawlies and keep in mind I am use to a faded white liner. So far I am afraid the tan liners may have a little too much green in the water color since we fight algae some. I would really like a light gray liner, something that resembles a French Gray or Aqua PeebleSheen so that it is a bright aqua water and yet visible liner. We have considered Courtstone and I really like Gerano so considering asking if they could do a GLI liner. I found a light gray and blue mix called Midnight Ocean but apparently it's discontinued? I do love the reef liner but my hubby wants to try and stay away from the white base if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of other liners that would give us a nice light teal/aqua water color? Thanks!

liner_oceania-detail.jpg
I am also very interested in this new liner from Loop Loc despite the white base but it has not been installed yet so they couldn't provide any pics. I'm thinking it would generate a beautiful water color but everyone keeps warning that it would fade quicker. If anyone has any input or pics of similar liners I would appreciate the feedback so much! Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! I see some slight inconsistencies between the colors of liners you say you like and the colors you mention at the end. I agree that tan (and brown & green) liners produce water with a green tint. Though, now that you've found TFP, regardless of how much debris falls into your pool, you won't have any algae problems, ever, if you are on board with the methods of pool care we espouse. Blue, gray and black liners produce blues going from Windex to steel blue to deep blue. The teal/aqua colors you mention in your last sentence are green based. You will not get them from blue/gray/black liners. A good way to know what a color really is, is to google "teal" the click the Images tab.

I have been a bit all over the place with those I like. We do like the teal but would like it to be more on the lighter aqua side if possible. I considered Admiral/Seabrook, Courtstone/Natural Gray and umpteen others but they are all a bit dark. I do love the water color reef puts off, but my husband seems to want a border and would prefer a blue or gray backing. At this point I think we would be happy with whatever just to have the decision made! :) I see that they have came out with several new liners that look more natural like stone, and I love those, but for some reason they seem to have every color but a light gray. Here is a picture of one that appears to have a gray marble looking liner from www.linerwerx.com to give an idea of the water color I hope to get close to.
water color.jpg

Thanks so much doobs41378! We have found scorpions, spiders, baby snakes and even a crawfish once so that really helps me a lot. We keep clearing one tree at a time but in the meantime I'd like to see my feet! :) I think we are leaning towards the Gerano or Courtstone. I do love that they will fade out to a nice natural gray.

I do love the reef liner but my hubby wants to try and stay away from the white base if possible.

I got the (discontinued) reef last year through latham's largest distributor, SPC, that had a branch in Canada able to still get it and ship it. I don't know if you saw pics over on the Liner Round Up thread or not, but the mix of black, grey, white, tan and light blue do create the lighter teal/turquoise color you describe.

But the reason for my post was your other comment that husband wanted a border. You can get Reef with a nice border but many just like the look without, just so you know ;) That doesn't solve the white back comment, but I thought I'd let you know. Its true its a high-hid pattern, which is great for people on well or who get a lot of debris. But I'm pretty sure I could see any creepy crawlies ;)

Also, since you mentioned seabrook, which I'd also considered and even bought several yards to test...it gives a darker, richer color in the shade and was a bit darker then I wanted.

That new loop loc looks gorgeous but it does look full of the medium blue that fades faster these days due to environmental restriction on production.

Thank you so much Swampwoman! I had hoped to hear from someone who had reef or at least seen it in water. I absolutely love the water color it produces. Plasimayd has it this year listed as a new liner for 2017 but only without the tile. It must have been popular enough to finally offer in the US again. I found out this morning my installer will order other than what they carry so I'll go see what borders I can get. I had the same concern with Seabrook so your post on the other thread was a huge help! We get a lot of shade on the pool and especially the deep end. Everyone keeps telling me the teal liner will fade and I sure wish that wasn't the case. I finally saw the liner in person and the picture doesn't do it justice. It is beautiful! If they were cheaper I would go for it and just replace it sooner than later :)

The reef gives the color, but the colors its uses to achieve the effect are the more fade-resistant colors...for a while I actually harbored the notion this was why they weren't offering it n the US ;)

Of course, I have no idea how it will really hold up in the sun as we only installed it in August....

Here's a shot of it inside our winter dome with top, so dark/cloudy/filtered light - it really doesn't ever look that dark in person, btw, but this gives you a worst-case frame of reference ;):
image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ponygirl has a gray liner that is lovely! Beautiful color. She has a build thread on here. I have the Loop Loc Platinum Onyx and we are still working on balancing the water but the closer we get the more clear and beautiful it looks. I can see the bottom even at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have pics to share of platinum onyx pool
liner by loop loc? Can you see the pattern through the water or is it more subtle and is it too shiny like an aquarium??? Please help!! So stressed about this liner or black granite .... thx!!!!!! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.