Help with Perma Salt system questions

amanda.pittman625

Jul 24, 2021
Conway, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello everyone, I'm a new AGP owner and excited about time to spend with my kids playing in the pool. But I feel like I've been duped with the Perma salt system though. I've been reading on this forum and other sites and it seems like this system won't keep my pool sanitary. It might keep it from growing algae but not healthy in other areas like killing bacteria 🦠! So I was looking at increasing my CYA level a little, it's very low right now, and using liquid chlorine in addition to the Perma salt chemicals.

Should I turn off the copper portion and just use the sand filter/pump with chlorine? My husband will be unhappy to know I've wasted all that money on the system. He didn't even want to get a pool in the first place so I'm managing all the chemical and water maintenance. My copper level is about 0.2 or 0.3 right now. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I have read other threads talking about switching systems but didn't see final results.

I have a 24 ft, round pool, 14,000 gal.

Thank you!

Should I turn off the copper portion and just use the sand filter/pump with chlorine?
Yes! If your husband is unhappy now, just wait until you get black copper stains and swimmers get green hair. Salesmen do this unfortunately. Just pull the packs and go chlorine like the majority of the pool community. Maybe next year consider a salt water generator to make pool care a little easier, but for now, liquid chlorine (or regular bleach) is your water's best friend.

Yes! If your husband is unhappy now, just wait until you get black copper stains and swimmers get green hair. Salesmen do this unfortunately. Just pull the packs and go chlorine like the majority of the pool community. Maybe next year consider a salt water generator to make pool care a little easier, but for now, liquid chlorine (or regular bleach) is your water's best friend.

Okay. I just turned on my pump for the day and turned off the copper portion until I can get it removed. Thank you for confirming my fears but I'm glad I'll be able to get it going the right direction. I bought liquid chlorine, stabilizer, and pH adjuster when I was out yesterday fearing this was what I was about to need to do. I hope I can get a credit at the pool store when I return this thing. Live and learn I guess. ☺️ Thank you!

Reactions: Texas Splash
I purchased a Perma Salt system for a 24ft round above ground pool in July. I have had clear, perfect water all summer. I am discouraged reading these reviews from folks who are having green pools. I have added the chemicals as requested every 2 weeks. Are there any good reviews out there?

Not a good review from here. I removed the entire PermaSal system from my pool after experiencing new algae 3 times in 6 weeks. After I removed it I bought the test kit recommended on this site, and followed the directions on this site and the Pool Math app to get my CYA up to the correct levels, then went to work on the chlorine levels. It took a little bit to get things adjusted and to account for what the sun was doing to my chlorine levels every day, but it has been 1000% better since the PermaSalt system was removed.

I will likely buy a SWCG next spring “so we can go”, but it won’t be anything by the PermaSalt people.

I purchased a Perma Salt system for a 24ft round above ground pool in July. I have had clear, perfect water all summer. I am discouraged reading these reviews from folks who are having green pools. I have added the chemicals as requested every 2 weeks. Are there any good reviews out there?
I didn't have it long enough for it to turn green. Though it may have if I'd waited. I was more afraid of germs. My stepsons have warts and they pick them a lot and even though I make them shower before getting in the pool they are preteen boys....so anyways. I wanted to ensure sanitation for all of my family so I went with bleach. I'm now using chlorine granules when I ran out of liquid pool bleach. It's working great. Will close the pool in about a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.