Help with partial drain

Mar 13, 2020
LV, NV
I've got some green algae growing and want to follow the SLAM process. Currently my CYA is 100, so I know I need to get it down before I start. The problem here is that I don't know how to drain my pool. I've attached a pic for reference.

In the pic green is the main drain, and orange is the skimmer. I'm not sure what the red valve controls and haven't attempted to try it.

In my area I have to drain to the sanitary sewer system. I have a drain hose that I can attach to the drain circled blue.

Can anyone tell me which valve will divert the water to the drain pipe circled blue?

Where into the sanitary sewer system is the best place to dump?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200313_142354.jpg
    20200313_142354.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 27
It seams you have a SPA. Is this correct? Its seams the right side is pool and left with heater is for spa. The red circle valve could be to divert heat to the pool or spa. It also seams you have a cartridge type filter, so you dont have a MPV, so you dont have a way to drain to sewer. You would need to rent a sump pump to drain.

Have you done the diluted CyA test? It might be over 100 since that is the testing limit. Fill in your signature with your pool specs so we know how to help you better.

I updated my signature with the information I know of for my pool equipment.

I have not done a diluted CYA test. Before I knew better I bought a basic test kit that only does chlorine, ph, and alkalinity. Have a TF-100 kit on the way.

What is the blue pipe for? Could I attache a hose to that and run it to a sink/tub, or other drain?

I might be wrong, but I think the pipe circle in blue is a vent for your spa bubbles. It should suck air when pool is in spa mode. Either way, rent/buy a sub pump. Living in Vegas, it won't the be last time you use it.

Reactions: mknauss
Filled out the signature with the info I know. I have not done a diluted CYA test. Before knowing better I got a basic test kit that only gives chlorine, ph, and alkalinity. When the pool first started going cloudy there was no chlorine reading, the water remained clear. I have been adding shock without stabilizer and the last reading was around 3ppm.

The previous owner left a hose in a box marked “drain hose for pool”. Is there not a way to drain with that? When I get a submersible pump and hook it up where is the best place to dump?

That valve circled in orange may divert water to the blue circled pipe. One way to find out...

If it works and you can isolate suction from the main drain, you may be okay. You want to make sure no air enters the suction side so the pump doesn't run dry. Your utility probably has a max rate of discharge to the sewer cleanout...probably around 10-12 GPM or 600-720 GPH. Confirm with them.

The previous owner left a hose in a box marked “drain hose for pool”. Is there not a way to drain with that?

Do you have a main drain? Do you know if your main drain works? Do you know how to turn off suction from the skimmer and only pull water from the main drain?

If you don't know the answer to those questions you put your expensive pool pump at risk. Your pool pump cannot drain the water below the skimmer level without sucking in air. Once the water level is below the skimmers you have to pull all the water from the main drain. Often the main drain is not big enough to feed the pump alone.

These are all reasons you should use a Submersible Pumps - Further Reading

Drain the water to your sewer system if it is allowed.

I might be wrong, but I think the pipe circle in blue is a vent for your spa bubbles. It should suck air when pool is in spa mode. Either way, rent/buy a sub pump. Living in Vegas, it won't the be last time you use it.

What about living in Las Vegas calls for the need to drain more often?

I just tested the chlorine level again and the water didnt even change color, just clear. Should I add shock/chlorine now during the day to get the level up, or should i just wait until evening?

Tf-100 test kit arrives Tuesday.

Test the CH of your fill water. You most likely are using Colorado River water. As I do. I exchange the water in our pool every 16 months or so as my CH hits 1000 ppm due to evaporation in that amount of time.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add chlorine now. Never let your pool. water sit without chlorine.

I drained part of the pool, took forever with a 1/4 hp pump! It was hard to tell what percentage I drained, but my CYA after refill is somewhere between 35 and 40, that test is hard to read.

I've been following SLAM for a day and a half and the pool is really clear. Last night the FC was 18 and this morning it was 11, so still have some organics for sure. I have a ton of stuff falling from a pine tree though.

Will keep following the process until I get OCLT of 1 or less. This really works though, pool looks great.

Thanks for all of your help.

I drained part of the pool, took forever with a 1/4 hp pump! It was hard to tell what percentage I drained, but my CYA after refill is somewhere between 35 and 40, that test is hard to read.

We always round CYA test up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 you call it 40 and move on. Don't sweat over it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.