Celina, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I had an electrician ( not familiar with pool, and or automation) wire up my intellicenter. It's a pretty basic set up, but it doesn't appear correct to me, I can't get anyone familiar with intellicenter to come and look at it for weeks/ months. My pool was just filled with water and I need to get this powered on, but I'm a little nervous about frying my panel. Can anyone tell me if the wiring looks ok? Pump, landscape lights, and pool lights are what need to be controlled with relays. I know a few of you are experts on the intellicenter. I have read all the posts and looked at pics, but I'm still uncertain about the wiring I had dine20210522_211541.jpg20210522_211531.jpg

F,

Does not look ok to me.. Not sure that anything would be damaged or not, but no sense in taking any chances.

Obviously, none of the relays will control anything except for the Pump/Filter relay (upper left) and it is only half right.

I assume that you have an IntelliFlo pump.. If that is true, then it should get constant AC power.. But it appears that it is wired so that the AC power to the pump is run through the Pump/Filter relay.. This is wrong.. On the plus side, the SWCG transformer 240 volt input is connected to the load side of the pump/filter relay which is correct.

It appears that your System transformer is wired ok, but hard to see where all the wires go..

So, what is the plan?? Do you plan to find another electrician or do this yourself or???

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the Pentair superFlo pump, not intelliflow, I have calls in to several other electricians, but everyone is so busy. My understanding and what I told the electrician is that the swg and pump need to power on and off at the same time. I agree the relays need another wire... At least from looking and researching on here .. I'm hoping to finish it my self to get some circulation going, and once I can get someone familiar they could finalize anything.. .thanks for your quick response

Pump is a 342001 bought a few months ago, no one recommended it, I just figured it would work??? Will it work with the Intellicenter? Should it be wired differently

F,

If the pump was manufactured this year, it can be controlled by an RS-485 cable which is how the IntelliCenter controls the pump and pump speeds.

If the pump was manufactured last year, then it has no RS-485 capabilities. To control the pump you would have to use 4 relays, one for each speed you want to run. It is very clunky to use and you will never be happy with how it operates.. The whole point of having an IntelliCenter is to be able to let the automation set the speeds that you want to run based on what the pool is doing.. As an example.. My pump normally runs at 1200 RPM, but when I turn on my waterfall, the pump automatically ramps up to 2800 RPM.. This is all programmed into the automation. This is much harder to do with the older SuperFlo VS pumps.

They all have the same "Data Port" on the side.. The difference is that the new pumps can use it to talk over the RS-485 bus.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. I will check the date on my pump. If it's not a new one, I can still only use 1 relay and have set times with the pump itself to change speeds? Correct. I agree that won't be ideal with my deck jets and fountain to operate correctly. Fingers crossed it's this year,. But I got a bad feeling....

Jimrahbe I think I lucked out, date on pump is 1/30/21. Does this just mean It needs wired like an intelliflo, constant power, and I would need to purchase a data cable to connect it to com port J4 or 5? Do you know if a I need a 2, or 4 wire Cable, finding conflicting info while searching for one to buy....also I noticed the electrician installed a 30 amp breaker for pump. Seems like everyone else is using 20 amp breakers. I read that the relays are only good to 20-25 amp? your recommendations? Again thanks for all the info, the pool companies around me are useless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim is working with you on your pump.

What pool lights do you have? I do not see a GFCI 120V CB for pool lights. Right now your pool lights are not hooked up to a relay and you should verify if a GFCI CB is required when they are hooked up.

F,

:thumleft:

Just to double check.. Cable is P/N 356324Z, which has about 6 colored wires.. You will only be using the Green and Yellow wires which will be connected to the Green and Yellow pins on the IntelliCenter's com port connector.

This manual, page five.. https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...lovs-superflovst-supermaxvs-owners-manual.pdf

I am happy that your SuperFlo has the RS-485... You would not have been happy at all with the operation of the old SuperFlo..

You need to remove the two wires going from the Pump/Filter relay to the pump, from the load side pins #2 and #4, and connect them to the Line side pins #1 and #3.. This will apply constant power to the pump. This means that pin #1 and #3 will each have two wires.. one from the pump breaker and the other going directly to the pump..

At the same time you need to leave the White and Yellow wires coming from the SWCG transformer on Pins #2 and #4.. Since the relay only closes when the pump should be running, it will turn off the power to the SWCG transformer any time the pump is not running.

Please let me know if this does not make complete sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim is working with you on your pump.

What pool lights do you have? I do not see a GFCI 120V CB for pool lights. Right now your pool lights are not hooked up to a relay and you should verify if a GFCI CB is required when they are hooked up.
I have 4 nichless cmp brillant wonders. P model, which from what I've read are compatible with Pentair intellicenter. They are all connected at a waterproof junction remote from the pool, and connected to 300 watt intermatic transformer, which is connected to top breaker and halfway connected to the second relay. I do see that the wiring is not complete to the relay. The electrician said he wasn't finished with that yet??? Im not sure what you mean by GFCI CB. I also Have a second intermatic 12 volt transformer for landscape lights. Which is the other relay and other 20 gfci. The 2 other breakers not automated are for some pavilion lights/ sump pump. Basically I want to be able to turn on and off pool lights, landscape lights, and pump features with schedule or phone. I also have some deck jets and a fountain with an intellivalve I would like to control.

I have 4 nichless cmp brillant wonders. P model, which from what I've read are compatible with Pentair intellicenter. They are all connected at a waterproof junction remote from the pool, and connected to 300 watt intermatic transformer, which is connected to top breaker and halfway connected to the second relay. I do see that the wiring is not complete to the relay. The electrician said he wasn't finished with that yet??? Im not sure what you mean by GFCI CB. I also Have a second intermatic 12 volt transformer for landscape lights. Which is the other relay and other 20 gfci. The 2 other breakers not automated are for some pavilion lights/ sump pump. Basically I want to be able to turn on and off pool lights, landscape lights, and pump features with schedule or phone. I also have some deck jets and a fountain with an intellivalve I would like to control.
IMG_20210523_172408.jpg
Probably a little late to ask now, but any major problems with my plumbing? 2 skimmers, ran separate 2 inch lines, 2 main drains on a 2 inch line. For return side I have 2 step returns, on a 2 inch line, and 2 pool returns on a different line. Also have water features of 4 deck jets all ran on individual 1.5 inch lines and a 2 inch line for a sheer decent waterfall. The intellivalve will divert water from the pool/ step returns and send it to water features. 95 percent of the time I'm sure it will be set to pool.. critique away please. I have done the entire pool myself besides the wiring, of the panel, excavation, and concrete pool floor

F,

Everyone of your breakers appear to be GFCI breakers to me... ???

I think if you are using a pool rated transformer for low voltage lighting you do not need to have GFCI protection, but it won't hurt anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

:thumleft:

Just to double check.. Cable is P/N 356324Z, which has about 6 colored wires.. You will only be using the Green and Yellow wires which will be connected to the Green and Yellow pins on the IntelliCenter's com port connector.

This manual, page five.. https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...lovs-superflovst-supermaxvs-owners-manual.pdf

I am happy that your SuperFlo has the RS-485... You would not have been happy at all with the operation of the old SuperFlo..

You need to remove the two wires going from the Pump/Filter relay to the pump, from the load side pins #2 and #4, and connect them to the Line side pins #1 and #3.. This will apply constant power to the pump. This means that pin #1 and #3 will each have two wires.. one from the pump breaker and the other going directly to the pump..

At the same time you need to leave the White and Yellow wires coming from the SWCG transformer on Pins #2 and #4.. Since the relay only closes when the pump should be running, it will turn off the power to the SWCG transformer any time the pump is not running.

Please let me know if this does not make complete sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.
yes that makes complete sense. Thanks

@MyAZPool Avert your eyes!
I just don't get it.
Time after time, we have ops coming on here showing us how their electricians and contractors wired up their load centers completely goofy and it just baffles my mind. This is two in just as many days.. How can these guys who call themselves professionals be so lost? :rant: I really feel bad for the ops who have to endure this.
@firemancline So glad you are here now getting the "RIGHT" advice. Just listen to @Jimrahbe and @ajw22 and they'll untangle the mess for you and get you squared away. They know their stuff.
If or when you need some detailed IntelliCenter help, they or you can ping me and I'll be happy to help if I can...
Thanks...
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.