Help with heater size -- is smaller than recommended still Ok?

kfinke

Aug 28, 2017
Cincinnati,OH
I have a 32500 gal pool, 20x40 (800 sq. ft.). Most pool heater sizing charts would recommend a 300-400KBTU heater, even adding in the quip that bigger is better.

However, the previous owners of the house had a pool heater. It died, and they removed it. Gas line and electric are already there. However, they installed a 3/4" gas pipe. With a run of over 80 feet, we've calculated that the best we could do would be about a 200,000BTU heater. We have a solar blanket, and I would be quite diligent about keeping it on when the heater is running. I've been told that a BTU of heat added to the pool is a BTU of heat added to the pool. If that is true, and the blanket will keep most of the heat in, then is it a true statement that the only disadvantage to a smaller heater would be that it would take twice as long to raise the pool by X degrees than a 400K unit? It would also be a true statement that both the 200K and the 400K would burn the same amount of gas to raise the pool by that X degrees?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Yes & sort of yes

I think a larger heater may be a bit more efficient then a smaller heater running longer. But not enough to make a big difference.

kfinke

Aug 28, 2017
Cincinnati,OH
Don't overthink it. Go 400k BTU heater. Bigger is better. Quicker to get to desired heat temp.
Thanks for the replies, but perhaps I didn't make the problem clear. My current gas plumbing can only supply a 200K BTU unit. To do 400K, I will need to replace 40' black iron pipe in the basement as well as dig up 40 feet of yard to install 1 1/4" pipe instead of 3/4". The other choice would be to convert to a high pressure gas service, adding regulators at all gas appliances. Neither sound cheap.

thegreenblade

Jul 14, 2017
Chicago IL
I have a 250,000 BTU heater for 14,900 gallon pool the water temperature the other day was 52 took over 12 hours to get it in the 80s I have an inch and a quarter pipe ,yellow buried then reduce down to 3/4. I would do it right the first time, bigger is better. I also have a dome on it.

smracing

Jun 1, 2011
Carlsbad, NM
I had a 400k heater that died. I replaced it with a 125k. I use the heater mostly for the spa, also to extend the swimming season. I have been happy with the decision.

Other Threads of Interest