nappi.rachelk

Jun 5, 2022
Utica, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I'm waiting for my test kit to come so we are relying on the pool store test for right now.

Our pool cover had issues so the pool was very dirty. We got a great robotic vacuum and it's looking great, but it won't be for long. I'm on a trip and my spouse dumped powder stabilizer in, but I imagine it all got vacuumed up. As a result here are our levels:

------------------------------------------
Test Results 06-06-2022 @ 09:15 AM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 0.1
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 113
Calcium Hardness: 167
CYA: 22
(This is a 33000 gal inground vinyl pool)

Pool store told us to add Balance Pak, then also wanted us to do a bunch of powder shock or 5 gallons 12.5% liquid chlorine, and 1 gallon liquid stabilizer. This seems very wrong to me.

Question, because our FC is 0.1 and our TC is 0.1, do we go ahead and SLAM? If not, what order should I fix things in? My instinct says pH/TA, then CYA, then FC. But I'm very new to TFPC and looking for your advice. We went with pool store recommendations last year and it was a disaster - mustard algae, constant cloudiness, putting in lots and lots of money... so I'm glad to be on the right track now.

AK-

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2021
Northwestern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
Welcome to TFP!!!

There is not much that can be done based on pool store test results as they aren’t considered reliable (try taking a water sample to 4 stores you will likely get 4 different results).

While you wait for your test kit use PoolMath to add 5ppm of LC (Liquid Chlorine) every evening. This should slowdown algae growth.

Once you receive your test kit them we can help you if the SLAM Process if necessary.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
You can't rely on pool store tests and we really can't advise on them as they so often turn out to be just wrong. If we have you add something like CYA and it turns out the pool store test was wrong and you had a lot in there to start with you could end up draining water.

You do want FC in the pool. How does the water look now? If it's clear, add about 3ppm each day until the test kits arrives. If it's cloudy or green, add 5ppm each day. Liquid chlorine is recommended.

Once your test kit is there, post your full results along with info on how your water looks so we can assist. It also helps if you fill out your signature - you can see mine as an example. If you're on a mobile phone, turn it sideways to see signatures. That will help us with info on your pool to offer advice as well. :)

nappi.rachelk

Jun 5, 2022
Utica, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK, thanks for the fast response! I fixed my signature and I'll work on FC correction starting tonight. Do I correct it assuming a CYA level of 22?

The Pool Math calculator says I'll have to add 165 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine, or only around 1.3 gallons. That feels like a very small amount for our pool! Does it sound right to you folks?

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
CYA will determine your final FC target if you need to SLAM and for daily use, but for right now, you can't assume the CYA is 22. The 3ppm or 5ppm is just to get some FC in the water and prevent you from sliding backward if you do have algae. Once the kit is in, we can do tests to see next steps. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread