Help with CYA Type/Recomendation?

Jun 1, 2018
Broken Arrow, OK
Need to add CYA after copious amounts of rainfall. I am down to around 30 and it is noticeably affecting chlorine levels. Pool store recommended a liquid stabilizer from natural chemistry that is instant and claims to be less harsh on pool equipment etc. I could add one gallon and get to around 60 or so.

Has anyone used this product or is it better to do it with the tabs in skimmer or dry granules? Seems there are many brands/products for conditioners and different ways to add cya. Wanted to get info on pros and cons of each. Thanks!

You can use the liquid. It is about 4X as expensive as the powder CYA.
You can buy powder stabilizer at Walmart or Home Depot. Or you can get it much cheaper via Amazon if you can wait a few days.
Use the sock method if you use the powder form.

Reactions: Pperc
In a pool your size adding one entire gallon (128oz) of liquid CYA will add 20ppm of CYA to your pool.

Make sure you get the last sludge-y bit out of the bottom to obtain all the chemical you need.

Just for the record- the pool store is clueless in suggesting that the liquid version of this is any better than the granular version. They just use that scare tactic as they surely make more profit off the higher sale.

Maddie :flower:

In a pool your size adding one entire gallon (128oz) of liquid CYA will add 20ppm of CYA to your pool.

Make sure you get the last sludge-y bit out of the bottom to obtain all the chemical you need.

Just for the record- the pool store is clueless in suggesting that the liquid version of this is any better than the granular version. They just use that scare tactic as they surely make more profit off the higher sale.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, i tried it out this afternoon. Cya does show increase around 20 ppm an hour later. Quick and easy but as pointed out, pricey. I read a few comments on amazon stating that it did not last as long or would not show up on tests a few days later. Hopefully that does not end up being the case.

Amazon reviews for pool chemicals are just about the worst thing you can look at. Case in point: CYA cannot just disappear after a few days. There's no such thing as inferior CYA that goes away too fast. Most likely those reviews are from people using test strips or pool store testing and don't realize how unreliable either is. If you are seeing a CYA increase with a Taylor CYA test then it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.