Sep 26, 2018
Palm Harbor, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone,

Just bought a new house and the equipment needs some TLC. I'm planning on a complete replacement of everything but need some help identifying what's what and plumbing lines.

I'm fairly certain I've determined the suction and jet lines to the pool and spa correctly for the spa overflow and normal unheated use but the previous owners disconnected the spa pump and heater so I can't mess around with it yet to be 100%.
IMG_20210815_101017~2.jpg
IMG_20210815_100950~2.jpg

I'm pretty certain I've identified the spa suction and jets correctly but if anyone can confirm that's great. Also, I'm not sure what to make of the one pipe that they've added two elbows to at the top of the equipment pad. I think it's a way to get air into the spa Jets but not sure how it works.

Also if anyone can ID the pumps from these pictures for a good replacement let me know.
IMG_20210815_101111.jpg
IMG_20210815_101057.jpg

IMG_20210815_101049.jpg

It looks like the spa jets are on a separate loop from the spa return. That is why they had a separate pump but all that looks abandoned for some reason (jets are all plugged and line cut). Perhaps it was leaking. There would be a separate suction line for that as well.

So I think the only thing connected to the main pump is the spa return line or overflow line as you call it.

It looks like the spa jets are on a separate loop from the spa return. That is why they had a separate pump but all that looks abandoned for some reason (jets are all plugged and line cut). Perhaps it was leaking. There would be a separate suction line for that as well.

So I think the only thing connected to the main pump is the spa return line or overflow line as you call it.

The only thing that's confusing me is there's 3 lines left behind. Two that the purpose is clear. One is a suction to the spa pump and one came after the heater. The one that's confusing is in the back. I think somehow it was for air but I don't know how that would work.

That line feeds the venturi jets to mix air and water together. It creates the bubbles in spa jets.

Gotcha. So with the jets currently being plugged, I need to buy replacement venturi jets and a new spa return cover because that's missing too.

Are all venturi jets the same or do you think I need a specific type?

If I need to take measurements or anything I can drain the spa to do that.

Venturi jets are not usually replaceable. They are built into the spa wall. However, depending on the model, either the nozzle or insert can be replaced. It may be they just plugged the exterior fitting which can be replaced by an eyeball or spinner. The jet itself maybe fine.

Venturi jets are not usually replaceable. They are built into the spa wall. However, depending on the model, either the nozzle or insert can be replaced. It may be they just plugged the exterior fitting which can be replaced by an eyeball or spinner. The jet itself maybe fine.

I'm thinking that since the pump and heater failed, the previous owners just plugged the exterior fittings so they could continue to run the pool pump and still have the overflow.

I'll drain the spa tomorrow and take the covers/plugs out and see what I find.

Assuming the internals look okay (no visible damage, etc), then it looks like any old 1.5" eyeball should work right? They've got different diameter eyeballs (3/8, 1/2, etc), I also would assume a smaller diameter to provide better velocity.

For spa jets, it is really the nozzle that determines velocity and not the eyeball.
Besides a standard eyeball jet, do you know if there are other options?

Looks like I'll need to figure out what the old pump is and get a replacement as well and a heat pump. Will need a new filter too, this one is way undersized.

Got my hands full on this pool. The last one just needed new in floor heads and a new pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It really depends on what you have now as to your options. There are many different types so compatibility can be an issue.

See pictures below. It's hard to tell but looks like there might be two different kinds of jets. What do you think of that being true? 3 with venturis and 3 without?

IMG_20210816_155114.jpg
IMG_20210816_155106.jpg
IMG_20210816_155058.jpg
IMG_20210816_155032.jpg

I guess my next step is to get eyeballs, a suction cover, and a new pump and try it out.

I think the worst case is that the venturis are all beyond repair and I can just cap the air intake a have regular jets, right? Of course, trying to replace the guts first might be better but just trying to understand my options.

It looks like those are the standard venturi gunite tees so it won't be hard to find parts. You can use screw in eyeballs and/or spinners.

You can probably find these cheaper

You can run the spa jets without any cover just to get them going first. The eyeball is just there to direct the flow.

Venturi jets don't typically fail. However, they sometimes do clog. If you notice, there is a hex pattern on the end of the nozzle and that is there so you can use a long socket wrench to remove the nozzle. This allows you to flush out the lines so that both the air and water lines are clear and working properly.

I can't read the last letter but if it is a PEA5G, that is a sta-rite Max-E-Glas 2HP uprated pump. The last letter determines the size. I could not get that off the motor label because of the glare. Does it have a HP and SF on the label?

If you are considering replacing the motor, I would go with a completely new pump. Those pumps are notorious for leaking.

How many spa jets does the spa have?

I can't read the last letter but if it is a PEA5G, that is a sta-rite Max-E-Glas 2HP uprated pump. The last letter determines the size. I could not get that off the motor label because of the glare. Does it have a HP and SF on the label?

If you are considering replacing the motor, I would go with a completely new pump. Those pumps are notorious for leaking.

How many spa jets does the spa have?

I didn't realize that "PE" was apart of the model number, what a silly way to label it. That's why I kept failing to find anything. I believe it is PEA5G.

Yes, I plan to replace the pump and motor. Motor label is mostly unreadable but I was able to see it is 1.5 HP and 1.1 SF.

The spa has 6 jets fed from this pump. I'll be adding a heat pump as well.

Also eventually going to add automation, most likely Pentair Easy Touch.

I would not add a heat pump to the jet loop. Add it the spa return loop. That way it can heat the pool and won't reduce jet performance.

As for the pump, you will want at least a 2 THP pump although you may have hard time finding one given the new DOE regs.

I would not add a heat pump to the jet loop. Add it the spa return loop. That way it can heat the pool and won't reduce jet performance.

As for the pump, you will want at least a 2 THP pump although you may have hard time finding one given the new DOE regs.
Good point. The plan was to put it on the pool loop...brain fart earlier even mentioning it.

Looks like Inyo Pools still has quite a few single speed Hayward Pumps. I assume it won't be a problem to do those with Pentair Easytouch.

For 2 HP they have the MaxFlo XL, Super Pump, and Super II Pump. Not sure if it really matters for the spa. Will be doing some reading shortly.

MaxFlo and SuperPumps are on the weaker side for a given THP. You want a high head pump for spa jets.
Any suggestions?

It does look like choices might be limited.

I've purchased from Inyo Pools and had good experiences in the past but am open to other vendors as well.

I know VS Pumps are great for energy savings and will most likely be going with the Pentair Intelliflo when I upgrade the pool pump but not sure if that's a good option for the spa Jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.