Help with Chlorine tablets.

PSUGorilla

Nov 28, 2019
Kansas City
Hi, I’m a new pool owner in Kansas City, MO. We actually just passed inspection and started using out in-ground hot tub about a week ago.

The pool builder put too much chlorine in our dispenser after shocking it, so we took 3 chlorine tablets out. They are wet, so we put them in an open Rubbermaid container in the basement.

Is this safe? Can we use the tablets later even though they’ve been in the chlorine dispense and are wet? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

I would not put wet trichlor tablets in the basement. Once tablets get wet, they will generate chlorine gas if you pull them out of the water until they dry. The pucks are emitting chlorine gas which is not only corrosive to anything metal in your basement but is toxic.

You really should avoid handling or removing wet trichlor tablets. They are a hazard when they become damp because of the combination of chlorine and low pH (tabs are acidic). Wet/damp tablets will continue to emit chlorine gas fumes until they are fully dried. Therefore, when you pull them, you CAN NOT store them in a sealed container or bring them into an enclosed environment or else you will cause a hazardous condition. We have had many posts on TFP of people pulling wet tabs from a floater and storing them in a garage or shed only to walk into the room and find the area overpowered with chlorine vapors.

You need to remove those pucks from the basement and either put them in your pool water or dispose of them properly. Let them dry outside or bring then to a hazardous waste disposal site.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and...

Continuous use of Trichlor tablets will give you an excessive CYA problem.

Last edited:
I leave a floating dispenser in my pool over the winter. I always worry about chlorine levels but always seems to stay in normal range when the water is cold outside
I am converting to SWG next spring I hope :)

Can you put them in the skimmer basket or buy a cheap floater?
Use a floater. We discourage placing pucks in the skimmer basket because they are acidic and close proximity to the equipment pad.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.