Help with Baq conversion

Barbara C

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
Started my Baq conversion today. I put in 420 oz. of 6% bleach to get my FC to 15. 1 1/2 hour later my FAS/DPD test showed.....
1. after 10ml of pool water and one heaping scoop of powder sample didn't turn pink but possibly the slightest hint of pink
2. as I continued to add drops the sample became more and more pink with each drop

I was confused by this and stopped the test at about 30 drops.

3. Repeated the test and got identical results.
4. OTO test shows 0 chlorine.
I assume I have 0 chlorine but I don't understand why FAS/DPD test progressed towards pink as i added drops.

Thanks for any help!!!

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Try adding some more bleach and testing within 30 minutes with the OTO. If you see Yellow, the test with the FAS-DPD test. If you add a scoop, and it doesn't turn pink, add another scoop.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I spoke with Barbara_C on the phone about her test results. I completely agree that the FC could've been used within that time frame.

What puzzles me is, after the DPD Powder was added, each succesive drop of R-0871 produced a steady increase towards a rosy pink in the solution until she stopped at 30 drops.

I have never heard that reported nor am I aware of any interference that would cause that response.

OP is redoing FC addition and will test within 30 minutes of dosage with the FAS/DPD.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Perhaps adding to the confusion......

OP has reported that continuing into the CC's test, the solution turns a deep rosy pink immediately upon addition of 5 drops of R-0003. After 5 drops of R-0871, the solution turns completely clear.

Barbara C

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
I'm afraid I'm adding another variable to the equation.
The filter needed to be backwashed due to low pressure. I now need to add fresh tap water. That should help it would seem. We'll see.