HELP - valve stuck & laterals pulled out

flygirl516

May 31, 2016
Toms River, NJ
I started a new thread because we created a new, huge problem.

We tried to remove the valve to inspect for debris or cracks, and the valve is stuck on the pipe inside the sand filter so tightly that a slight lift pulled the laterals up. Now that the laterals are all messed up, we've been trying to get the valve off and it wont budge. It appears that the pipe was slightly bigger than the valve is made for and it was forced on.

What on earth do we do now? How do we get the valve off? And then, how do we get the laterals back?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Are you talking about the MPV stuck to the top of center standpipe? I've seen that before. One guy on the forum went through a lot to finally get those apart. :hammer: I think he ended-up using a combination of things like heating the area where the two are connected, drilling through the center-pipe (knowing he would replace it anyway) to get another rod perpendicular to twist apart. Those two were just fused together over time.

flygirl516

May 31, 2016
Toms River, NJ
We took part the valve and the pipe is about an inch past the pipe input into the valve. It appears the pipe wasn’t down into the sand far enough and the valve was shoved on. And perhaps glued because we can’t get it apart.. ugh.

weve suspected perhaps a crack or leak at the bottom. Rather than spending $200+ in replacement parts for a filter that’s about 10 years old, we may just replace the whole thing.

Reactions: Texas Splash