HELP Spa pump, air blower issue

koopdaddy

May 19, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Thank you for looking!

I have a pool that was just remodeled. During the reno, the contractor replaced the spa jets. Unfortunately, they replaced them with the wrong size eyeball and they discarded the originals.... I have no way to find what was originally there now! Contractor says their is only one jet that will work in my spa and they have no other options.

If I run JUST my spa pump I have decent pressure from the jets and all is well. If I turn on my air blower along with the spa pump, no air will come out of the jets. In a minute or two the blower will thermal out and shutdown. If I remove 1 jet, the blower works as it should along with the pump. If I try to leave all the jets in, the two cannot be used at the same time but either works fine one at a time.

The blower and pump are the originals and no plumbing was changed. I did change the blower with a new one (same mfr. and specs) and the issue of course persisted. The motor/pump is a 2.5HP and the blower is a 2HP. I have 8 jets in the spa and the spa is 75ft from the equipment.

My next thought was to try to run a smaller pump/motor to lower the pressure at the jet exit and hopefully that will allow the air blower to work? Question is what size pump/motor to try. I don't want to just take a guess and spend a grand on parts to find this won't fix it.

Welcome to TFP.

Post a pic of your removed spa jet and your spa and your air blower.

Most spas only need a 1HP air blower. You can vent some air by putting a 3 way valve in the pipe or drilling some holes to relieve pressure.

@RDspaguy @kadavis

I agree 2.5hp is excessive. I would like to see the jet, as different styles function differently. In most cases the water passing through the jet actually creates a suction on the air line, not pressure, through the action of a venturi in the jet construction. Changing jet inserts generally will not change that venturi suction, but if it is the cause a reduction in pump pressure (flow rate) is what is needed. Do you have a variable speed pump? Could the pump speed have been increased?

Welcome to TFP.

Post a pic of your removed spa jet and your spa and your air blower.

Most spas only need a 1HP air blower. You can vent some air by putting a 3 way valve in the pipe or drilling some holes to relieve pressure.

@RDspaguy @kadavis

Remember my spa is over 75' away from the blower and pump...

You are saying to lose some blower pressure? Wouldn't that make the issue worse?

The blower is this unit Amazon.com: Air Supply Florida Silencer Portable Spa Blower 2 Horsepower - 240 Volt: Garden & Outdoor

I agree 2.5hp is excessive. I would like to see the jet, as different styles function differently. In most cases the water passing through the jet actually creates a suction on the air line, not pressure, through the action of a venturi in the jet construction. Changing jet inserts generally will not change that venturi suction, but if it is the cause a reduction in pump pressure (flow rate) is what is needed. Do you have a variable speed pump? Could the pump speed have been increased?

Pump is NON VSP...

I think this is an important clue to your problem- “If I remove 1 jet, the blower works as it should along with the pump.”

Have to see the jet and the spa.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDspaguy
I found the issue. When the renovation guy changed the Jets, he also changed out the fittings that go back into the Gunite wall. The fittings he put back into the wall were too short and therefore the spa pump water was being diverted into the air jet orifices.

Reactions: RDspaguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.