Help Selecting Equipment for New Build

LK25

Jul 25, 2020
Philadelphia PA
Hi forum,

Thanks for answering my question in advance. I recently received some quotes from a few PBs on a rectangle shaped vinyl in-ground pool either 16x34 or 18x34 or 36. We are leaning towards the 18x34 or 36.

If i am understanding this correctly the main equipment categories are as follows:
  • Pool Pump
  • Pool Heater
  • Water System - Chlorine vs Salt
  • Lighting (i.e., LED)
  • Chlorinator
  • Sand Filter
One quote included all Pentair equipment and the other all Hayward. The equipment specs for each quote are included as follows:

Pentair
  • Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump with Digital Time Clock Included
  • 26” 350lb Pentair Sand Filter with a 2” multi-port
  • Automatic Chlorinator
  • Pentair 250,000 btu master-temp natural gas or propane heater installed
  • Pentair Salt system including all salt for pool with an in-line sacrificial anode for salt system
  • Pentair Intellabrite led color light
  • Includes Easy touch automation system with a 150amp sub panel -- heater, lights and pump can be accessed from your smart phone
  • ScreenLogic2 Interface For IntelliTouch and EasyTouch
Hayward
  • Hayward Omni Variable Super Speed Pump w/ Smart Pool Control
  • Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump and Sand Filter System
  • Hayward Aquarite Salt Generator
  • Automatic Chlorinator
  • Hayward 250 BTU Gas Heater
  • Hayward Heat Pump 110K BTU
  • Hayward ColorLogic LED Light
The PB who promoted the Hayward said switching out to Pentair is not an issue. I am hoping some of you can tell me what you believe i should go with here. We do want a salt water system, prefer a gas heating unit and some automation. I am a newbie so any clarification or expertise would be great.

Lastly, i am confused if i go with a salt water system do i need an "automatic chlorinator"?

Thank you so much!

As a Pentair kind of guy, I of course will recommend the Pentair equipment.. :mrgreen:

You do not need a Chlorinator (Tab feeder) if you have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).. A Saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, the difference is that a saltwater pool just uses the SWCG to make the chlorine.

The IntelliFlo pump is considered by most to be the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps. You can't go wrong here unless they try to sell you the model with the SVRS option. Do not buy that one.

The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic is a great system that will provide the automation to make your system work smoothly.. It can be controlled from the main panel or you can use your PC, Phone, or Tablet. I would make sure that the pool builder uses a package system that comes with an Internal SWCG power supply and the salt cell.. Also make sure the salt cell is rated for 2 X the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell.. This is because the cell is rated with running 100% output, 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your heater is one thing that you can get branded separately from the automation. Any automation controls any heater. The Raypak cupronickel heat exchanger gas heaters are very highly recommend by folks here (including a service tech formerly active here) for ease of maintenance if needed and lack of it in general. The Cupronickel version is what you want for a SWCG pool. It is less susceptible to corrosion over time. Here is a link to the series.

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=aef0f954-db07-4d00-b6d3-036cf675efde

As a Pentair kind of guy, I of course will recommend the Pentair equipment.. :mrgreen:

You do not need a Chlorinator (Tab feeder) if you have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).. A Saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, the difference is that a saltwater pool just uses the SWCG to make the chlorine.

The IntelliFlo pump is considered by most to be the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps. You can't go wrong here unless they try to sell you the model with the SVRS option. Do not buy that one.

The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic is a great system that will provide the automation to make your system work smoothly.. It can be controlled from the main panel or you can use your PC, Phone, or Tablet. I would make sure that the pool builder uses a package system that comes with an Internal SWCG power supply and the salt cell.. Also make sure the salt cell is rated for 2 X the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell.. This is because the cell is rated with running 100% output, 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks so much, when you say a 20K pool, i am not sure what you mean? Is that gallons of water? Total newbie here.

Your heater is one thing that you can get branded separately from the automation. Any automation controls any heater. The Raypak cupronickel heat exchanger gas heaters are very highly recommend by folks here (including a service tech formerly active here) for ease of maintenance if needed and lack of it in general. The Cupronickel version is what you want for a SWCG pool. It is less susceptible to corrosion over time. Here is a link to the series.

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=aef0f954-db07-4d00-b6d3-036cf675efde
Bmore,

Thanks, can you tell me what BTU heater you recommend? I see some RAYPAK are 240K, 360K, etc. i guess i don't know how to ensure i select the proper BTU power if that makes sense?

Thanks so much, when you say a 20K pool, i am not sure what you mean? Is that gallons of water? Total newbie here.

Yes.. A pool with 20K gallons of water needs a cell that is rated for a pool with 40K gallons of water.. In your location you could get away with 1.5 times the gallons of your pool.

Jim R.

Yes.. A pool with 20K gallons of water needs a cell that is rated for a pool with 40K gallons of water.. In your location you could get away with 1.5 times the gallons of your pool.

Jim R.

Jim,

Can i also ask your thoughts on the BTU output? Would the Pentair with 250,000 BTU? I am just not certain what power of BTU i would need for something like an 18x34 or 18x36? Thank you again.

I like my Pentair gear, especially the EasyTouch automation with ScreenLogic. I wouldn't own a pool without it. Definitely do not get any sort of tab feeder (automatic chlorinator) but do get the SWG instead. That "package" that Jim refers to is the way to go (just be sure they don't try to sell you and EasyTouch "Lite"). I don't see any mention of auto fill. Maybe that's assumed? But many PBs don't like to install them. Not sure if your climate needs one as bad as mine does, but I cannot be trusted to fill a pool manually, even if I wanted to, which I don't. And I would need to everyday! I would forget and leave that hose running about every other time, I expect. I have a PoolMiser, and there are other brands that do something similar, if not better, that automatically fills my pool if it gets low, and drains it if it gets too high (during the rainy months). Without someway to do either, you'll have to use a hose to fill your pool and somehow manage manually emptying your pool when it rains too much. No thanks. You should ask your PB about that. You can put them in now, or at least have them plumb in an equalizer pipe for one and install the actual unit later. If you don't want to use it for some reason, you don't have to. But you can't add one after the deck gets poured.

Can i also ask your thoughts on the BTU output? Would the Pentair with 250,000 BTU? I am just not certain what power of BTU i would need for something like an 18x34 or 18x36? Thank you again.

I don't have a heater, so not much help there..

The bigger the heater (In BTUs) the faster it will heat your pool.

Let's see if we can get some of our member with heaters to chime in.

I would think that heating a pool would cost a small fortune.. :scratch:

Plus, you will have to cover the pool, if you don't want the heat to escape.. Something I am just to lazy to do.. :mrgreen:

I'd talk with other pool owners in your area and see what they say.. Your pool builder should be able to give you some good contact info.. You really don't want to pick a builder without looking at some of the pools that they have built anyway..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a gas heater but have never turned it on. Waaaay too expensive where I live. I installed a solar heater on the roof and that makes my pool a little warmer and extends by pool season a bit. That works for my "pool using style." If it's not hot enough out for the solar to heat my pool, I generally wouldn't want to swim anyway. Others like to swim in the winter, so heat their pool for that reason. Something for you to think about. My EasyTouch manages both the solar heater and the gas heater. If I did decide to start using gas, the EasyTouch is even smart enough to choose: if the solar system is producing good heat, the EasyTouch will turn that on, if not, it'll kick on the gas heater. As you do the local heater research Jim suggested, you might see if anyone in your area is making good use of solar panels.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just so you're aware the Pentair IntelliCenter system is the replacement for both the older EasyTouch and ScreenLogic2 systems. Not to say the EasyTouch isn't a good system as it's a very capable, but the separate ScreenLogic protocol adapter can have issues. However there are reported shortages for the IntelliCenter so that may factor into your consideration.

Also bundled systems qualify for a 3 year extended warranty coverage for professionally installed equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
Just so you're aware the Pentair IntelliCenter system is the replacement for both the older EasyTouch and ScreenLogic2 systems. Not to say the EasyTouch isn't a good system as it's a very capable, but the separate ScreenLogic protocol adapter can have issues. However there are reported shortages for the IntelliCenter so that may factor into your consideration.

Also bundled systems qualify for a 3 year extended warranty coverage for professionally installed equipment.

Thanks again, i will take this all int consideration. I do believe here in Pennsylvania i am going to add the Nat. Gas BTU Heater, but yes i will have a solar cover and hopefully not have to run the gas heater all day lol.

So then in summary, the main features and decisions for equipment i need to make are:
  • Variable Speed Pump
  • Nat. Gas Heater
  • Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)
  • Lighting (i.e., LED)
  • Sand Filter
  • Automation (Intellicenter or EasyTouch, etc.)
Does that sound like the requirements essentially?

Thanks

Not sure if you missed it or didn't agree with my post above, but I would add an auto-filling and overflow system to the discussion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.