Help....salt water generator cell died....trying to kill algae and boatman bugs

Jul 10, 2016
Pearland TX
Ok so we had a storm recently ( multiple power outages in a few hour period)that i think killed our SWG cell. New one on order, i hope. Hubby is handling that i hope (its under warrantee wooohooo!!)

Sad part is we didnt notice for almost two weeks that the SWG wasn't working. I was checking frequently but not enough to notice the subtle changes happening. Yes i know Bad pool people. ( kill me...end of school year for me and kids, work full time, and both kids play competitive soccer....not busy at all....lol..lol..lol..) So last week pool turned cloudy and maybe had a green tinge. I made sure my ph was in range and kept my chlorine as close to 5 as i could. Well low and behold yesterday we determined that the cell was not working. MY pool is somewhat cloudy, maybe a green tinge, and i have boatman bugs!!!!!!!!

My readings yesterday were
FC 4
CC 0
TA 80
CYA 40
ph 7.2-7.3
( if i am missing numbers i am at work and this all i can remember)

calcium is a bit low at 150 but i am a fiberglass pool and will add some once i get my SWG back working.

so other than added chlorine (bleach)every night ( i am a nurse who works 12 hours shifts and wont be off to check more frequently till weekend)...

any other advice as what else i should be doing till i get my SWG cell working again?? ..and how do I get rid of the bugs!!!!! They are gross

And yes, i will do a SLAM once i have my pool up and running properly!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

And i added more bleach after these readings....so hopefully chlorine is higher.

Just to make sure you understand .... it's certainly your choice to wait (to SLAM), but you don't have to. In fact, you'll SLAM using just regular bleach anyways, so having the SWG out of service is not an issue. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Its my Friday...lol..lol..lol...

So I am getting my ph down a bit and my CYA up a bit

ph is 7.6 and CYA is barely 60.....

good thing is i have no CC....and pool is clearer....

taking my Motrin now....and lets go sweep and vacuum the pool!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what it said on CYA/FC chart.....not recommended for 60 plus i just noticed i had to add water to pool...got to love texas sun...
I wont if you think i dont have to!!!! Plus i only did half what was recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Since pool is clearer and i have no cc's but a few boatman bugs left....

i am going to SLAM regardless....when do you think i should do an overnight test

Yes, for SWG pool in TX you will want CYA at 80 for sure. But, for the SLAM the instructions recommend 30-40 so that you don't have to raise FC so high to get to shock level.

Do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after the water is clear and CC is below 1.0.

Bugs will come and go. They don't seem to care about high or low FC.

dbtgallery.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.