Help replacing/adding equipment

Hey guys, I have a few more questions. We have decided to just replace the pump and my husband wants to go with a single speed 1.5hp. We have pretty much decided on the circupool edge-25 swg. I have a robot vac so don’t typically manual vac. We are also looking at adding the Pentair aqualuminator/fountain if that matters.

-Any reason we would need a 2 speed or variable speed?

-We just need to add a timer and connect it to the swg and pump correct?

-Is there any way to estimate how much salt I will need so I can order it or do I need to test it first?

-From the threads I have read it seems I do not need a sacrificial anode?

-I’m pretty sure my pool is not bonded, should it be?

I have the Edge 40 and like it a lot, I think it's a good system
Just my 2 cents, get a VS or 2 speed at least..You will save a lot on power and they run a lot quieter, my old Hayward was loud enough I turned it off when company came over. Now I have to walk over and see if it's running :). I run my 1.65 HP pump at half speed 24x7 just because I like to keep it clean. But easy to spend someone else money so you guys decision :)

As far as estimating salt you can use the poolmath app but always test first. I have seen a few post were folks have levels around 700 for a non SWG pool and to lower salt requires a partial drain. Get the Taylor 1766 and test. Then add less then you think and test and test again.
You may have read but avoid Clorox salt from walmart :) I use Morton from walmart at around $6.50 a bag

Reactions: adm525
I have the Edge 40 and like it a lot, I think it's a good system
Just my 2 cents, get a VS or 2 speed at least..You will save a lot on power and they run a lot quieter, my old Hayward was loud enough I turned it off when company came over. Now I have to walk over and see if it's running :). I run my 1.65 HP pump at half speed 24x7 just because I like to keep it clean. But easy to spend someone else money so you guys decision :)

As far as estimating salt you can use the poolmath app but always test first. I have seen a few post were folks have levels around 700 for a non SWG pool and to lower salt requires a partial drain. Get the Taylor 1766 and test. Then add less then you think and test and test again.
You may have read but avoid Clorox salt from walmart :) I use Morton from walmart at around $6.50 a bag

Do you have a 2 speed pump? How does that work when calculating pump run time for circulating the whole pool volume and for running the swg? If we were to do what you do, we would just hook up the swg to timer and leave pump on low correct?

I’ll wait to test before ordering the salt, I got the salt strips off of the tfkits site, thanks!

I have a variable speed pump and I run it at 1750 RPM 24x7. I like the VS because you can adjust it for the best pressure and vulume
I have my Edge40 set at 2 bars and right now my FC stays around 5 but after adding more salt ( now 3400 ) it is climbing up closer to 6.
I think you can use poolmath and calcutate run time

Reactions: adm525
Am I missing something? My filter says 34gpm and all the pumps I am seeing have higher gpm, I thought it was suppose to be lower?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
are you mixing up gpm and rpm? gallons vs revolutions...
I don’t think so but I got confirmation from someone at inyo pools that my filter and the pump I chose (1.5hp single speed) were compatible since they’re sold together. He said typically that is the case that you don’t want your pump gpm higher than filter gpm but sand filters are different ??‍♀️

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.