Help rebalancing my pool

catsncoffee

Jan 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I badly neglected my pool over the winter/spring and now we're here (I've been adding MA and chlorine but not testing ugh), my numbers are bad. What do i do first? Add CYA or MA? then slam? Pool math says to add 5lbs of dry stabilizer to get my CYA to 50.

FC - 0
CYA - 0
ph - over 8
TA - 120
CH- can't get a good reading but it was around 425 last year. In AZ so hard water.

In preparation for your SLAM Process, do the following:

1. Adjust pH to about 7.2
2. Add liquid chlorine for an FC target of 10 ppm. Let it mix for 10 min (only) and retest to ensure it's holding relatively well for 10 minutes (between 5-10 ppm). If it crashes to below 5, immediately add chlorine and repeat. Once you are sure the FC is trying to hold, go to step 3.
3. Get a sock soaking with stabilizer right away for a CYA goal of 30 and increase the FC to 12. Since it's getting hot, you could increase the CYA to 40 and SLAM FC level to 16, either one will work.

From there it's all about pool cleaning and maintaining the FC level. Follow that SLAM page and you should do fine.

Reactions: catsncoffee
If CH was 425 last year, I suspect it will be close to 800 ppm now. Best to get a good test. Unless you are not concerned with scale in your pool.

CH is 800. I have a pretty hard time maintaining an in range pH seems like it jumps every couple of days. I have a lot of aeration unfortunately based on the set up of my pool with a spa attached and a water feature i can't really turn off. I should i guess be adding MA 2x a week to try and control that better.

I assume your system has no form of automation that you use to turn on the spa, etc? You just manually move the valves when necessary?

I can but when i shut off the overflow from the spa to the pool it shoots the tank pressure up too high. I have the valves set to the least amount of water overflow possible, not sure what else i can do. Seems like a bad design unfortunately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.