HELP! Pool Party tomorrow and we are fighting green algae!!!

Jul 30, 2010
Help, anyone! We have a ptec 12,000 gal pool. Filter: Purex Triton cartridge. We recently got the pump circulating correctly just today and we've added 3 gallons of bleach 6%. We don't have the testing kit the forum suggests however the water is not milky, ect. It's just green. We've scrubbed, vacuumed, backwashed, and it's looking better. Does anyone know if we need more bleach or a packet of shock before tomorrow?? UGHH! :cry:

You need real test figures to get this right, but you most likely need more bleach, and probably a lot more! The P-Tec is strong, and the bleach won't be an issue anyway.

I'm wondering how you backwashed your cartridge filter :?: You should be opening the housing and taking out the cartridges to spray off with a hose.

I'd dump in another bottle or two of bleach, and keep the filter running. If you could get your water numbers up that would be a big help (do you have-or did you order-a test kit yet?).

I doubt it will be sparkling and clear overnight. Sorry.

You need to shock the pool, which is a process, not a one-time deal, and not a magic powder you buy at the pool store. To shock, a test kit is essential. Despite the 3 gallons of bleach you added, you may have no chlorine left already. At this point, even test strips are useful.

Head on down to Walmart and pick up some more bleach and see what they have for testing. They're still open.

Like Richard said, it's a process, not a quick deal. Get the chlorine level up, brush and filter and you will see results, but it isn't gonna happen overnight :(

winthewdwgon2 said:
OK... 1 more dumb question... will it be swimmable with 4 - 5 gallons of bleach in it 2 morrow?
No one knows without testing.

Could be all the bleach will be used up and the water is still green. Could be the CYA level is so high you haven't touched the algae. Could be the water will be cloudy but safe. Could be it's clear but the chlorine bleaches everything it touches, even the towels used to dry off. Could be it will be fine. There's no way to know without testing.

Your PH test bottom's out at 6.8 - correct? Your PH could be a bit lower than that. I wouldn't want to have a pool party with super low PH like that - tough on the eyes. Over time it's tough on the equipment too. Without any other test numbers, it's hard to give a remedy - but a couple boxes of borax at this point couldn't hurt.

And chlorine maxes out at 5 on the test - yes? With algae you'd expect the CL level to read low in the morning. Again without test results hard to say.

Any chance of getting a water sample to a pool store for testing. These wont be particularly accurate, but at least they are a start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow you got your hands full . like the man said need test #s pool store is your best bet for the testing , adding Borax may not help either if your TA is low, get the water tested first thing in the morning, and hope for a cloudy day wherever you are. Here what i do if i was in your shoe . put in 8 large jugs of bleach 13 gallons roughly, first thing in the morning before the sun comes up , your water will turn cloudy, Brush the entire pool and keep the pump runing back wash a couple of times and make sure you wash the filter too.